Up early after seeing in the New Year with caution on the drinks front. A good thing as I got stopped at Roseville for a random breath test!
An amazing turnout of runners, especially if you compare to last year where there might have been 20 of us. This year around 120!!!
Started out cautiously and ran with Spud and Tom for a way until we hit the uphills where I eased back a little, content to save myself a little, especially if I needed to sprint for the ferry. As it happened I got to the water and the ferry was chugging back so I popped a gu and drank some water. The departure was a little delayed as a couple of groups of runners showed up.
Off the other side and it was a scramble of a large group up the hill. I ran with Blue Dog for a little while and loitered just behind Spud, just losing him at the top. I really enjoyed the run down to the castle and Ron Schwebel caught up to me just after the turn. I was still struggling a little up the hills and just at the top of teh long descent back to the ferry sfGnome ran past. I was content to keep him in sight and again see what happened with the ferry. This time we just missed it so a good regroup again, topping up the camebak and around 6 of us ran off the other side.
I hung in with the group for most of the first climb but really struggled towards the top letting them drift away. It was very pleasing to see the drink drop at the top of the second climb and now I knew it was just good steady running all the way back. Despite feeling tired I kept the legs turning over all the way back and finished in 3:51:35, slight improvement over last year. Got changed and hung around to see most of the others come in, certainly it was a little warmer than the run last year (not the furnace option). Have done some comparision splits for those interested....
TY LY
Berowra to ferry 0:53:10 0:52:30
Ferry over 0:11:22 0:08:00
Ferry to Castle 0:50:41 0:49:27
Castle to Ferry 0:50:00 0:47:18 (really ran hard downhill)
Ferry Back 0:10:00 0:04:45
Ferry to Finish 0:59:34 1:07:45
Act. running time 3:33:35 3:37:00
A decent benchmark, certainly I did a lot better in the last steep section back up the hill this year. Also encouraging that the legs feel not too bad today, despite being pretty much toast when I finished. A good sign that while I did not race the run it was a good solid hit out.
5 comments:
A great start to 2007 Dave. Its all looking pretty good for 6ft.
Strange how the ferry splits were so much longer this year than last - they seemed so quick to this first time runner :-)
It was good to run with you. I'm looking forward to doing more of it this year.
Gnome
That track had better look out cause it's going to be one heck of a grudge match ;-)
Good to see you. My best wishes to you & your family for the new year.
A good run Dave even though you weren't racing it. Great to get another PB so early in the year.
Year to date figures might need to change....unless of course you HAVE been doing lots of secret training!!
A good start with the Black Stump Run. Hopefully your legs are recovering well and you are renewed with the passion to charge ahead at Six Ft.
I can't wait to hear how you go and especially am keen to hear of your sub 40 when 40 result some time this year. I have all the faith you are more than capable.
Happy New Year.
Post a Comment