Made my first foray back into training on Sunday at the Middle Harbour Picnic STaR. It started out good, seemingly cruising with the 6:10 group, got bad around Balmoral as I started to struggle and then plain bloody ugly as I very nearly did not even finish the run. My legs were extremely painful which for a while I was perplexed, surely I could not loose that much condition over a couple of weeks. Afterwards I realised that since my six foot hit out I have been wearing my Nike free's and am thinking that I actually "conditoned" my legs/feet somewhat out of my orthotics??? Seriously I don't think I have ever felt as bad in the legs during a run, even at the end of various marathons.....
Feel much better physically today but have had a major distraction with Striders, one of our members getting in a very bad situation out on six foot and I have found it very taxing trying to work through things with all concerned.
Hoping for a better remainder of the week, Summer Series to hopefully blow the cobwebs out and get some confidence back in my condition and legs :(
7 comments:
Look after yourself Dave. I'm sure any lost condition will be back quickly with some consistency back in your routine.
For what it's worth, my legs were bashed up worse than they usually are after a STaR. You are tough and stubborn, meaning you probably could have eased your back taking a shorter option. I look forward to following the journey as you graduate from the Dave Bray School of Pain. ;-)
It must have been the rides on Space Mountain and all that fairy floss that trashed your legs. Hope you get over it soon Dave.
Hi Dave, hope your legs sort themselves out soon enough.
Sorry to hear there was a member becoming unwell out on the track and I hope things were all sorted out there. I am interested in these things from my role on the committee at BRRC. We have from time to time had complaints of runners knocking into walkers as they go past or getting in the way of cyclists etc. So I can understand your frustration that dealing with these issues causes.
Time to get back to just running and remembering why we do it all in the first place :)
I'm guessing a STaR is not the softest way to ease back into training....
Nothing like jumping in at the deep end - welcome back mate.
Maybe you could drop the orthotics altogether if you're not using them in the Frees?
I read about that 6' near miss. Not good. We need to look out for each other when running in isolated locations.
My name is Robert Key and I am a runner from Houston, Texas. I saw your blog listed when I was looking through the RBF directory and very much enjoyed reading some of your entries. I understand the leg pain. I've been dealing with a nasty shin splint in my left leg now for over a month while still trying to train for the Austin Marathon.
I have a web site at http://www.faithfulsoles.com that is inspirational stories for walkers, runners and athletes of all ages and abilities. A new feature I have recently added to the site is a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database where members of my site can find a blog of interest to them based on other walkers, runners or athletes of similar abilities, goals and interests. To my knowledge it is the only one of its kind specifically for walkers and runners on the internet. I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to put a link to your blog in our Running Blog Database (I have already had a couple of other people from Australia link their blogs). Just click on "Link your running blog" under "Free Features" from the home page. If you want to learn more about my running background, just click on "Meet Robert" from the main menu , or to learn more about my involvement in the running community, click on "Faithful Soles in the news" in the left column under "Weekly Features". I also have a blog that I just started at http://faithfulsoles.blogspot.com, but most of my running information is on my web site. Also, if there is anyone else in your blogger network that you think would be interested in listing their blog, please feel free to pass this information along to them. Thanks and continued good luck in your training
Post a Comment