Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Taper, what taper???

Yes, while others start to taper and sharpen I'm out just trying to get the legs turning over....

Sunday was an interesting run, a new route based out of the back of Hornsby which covered a fair bit of the GNW. A good sized 6:10 group and I only just made it (incorrect alarm setting!), so much so that the garmin did not get a lock. Finally at our first water stop before hitting the bush it locked but then it kept complaining that the split memory was full....

At one point the "leaders" made a wrong turn so I headed off with hefty/dash and Kevin T along the single track. I love this sort of running and soon the bunch was way in the distance! I took the opportunity at the Quarry Rd bridge to completely clear the memory as only clearing a month did not seem to have any effect (has anyone else had this problem??).

At the top of the hill I let the group go through and waited for Kevin and we had a good chat headed down towards Galton Gorge Rd. Quite a bit of scrambling and I did a bit of counselling on another runner who had already twisted her ankle and was very tenative on the technical stuff. At the water drop another runner had knocked his head on a rock and was going to short cut it out so they left together and Kev, hefty/dash and myself regrouped to head on towards crosslands.

This section took quite a while but again good single track running and we actually caught back up to the tail end of the bunch. Along here I did manage to bash my right leg just above the knee as I zig zagged through some rock formations. Just before crosslands the 6:20 guys came through and I did a hygiene/hydration/gu stop at crosslands leaving Kev to go on.

I regrouped with some 6am runners on the climb back out and ended up running with Jim and Alison as we headed back to the start. Alison opted for the full course while Jim and I had had enough! The knee pulled up a little sore with some grazing and bruising but nothing structural!

This morning dragged myself out for a tempo jaunt down to the weir and back, did not feel overly smooth but averaged 4:50 so not too bad, tossed in some 100m strides at the oval opposite home before winding down and that was a bit painful!!

Entry for Six foot is in, opted for wave 3 and will be focussed on getting to the top of pluvi in one piece and see what happens after that!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same has happened to my garmin 305 at least 3 times now. Each time I have had to delete all. Very annoying.

Good luck with the training, hope to see you in one piece at Jenolan Caves.

Hamburglar said...

Same thing happened to me. Deleted all and was OK.

Jen said...

Wow, that STaR certainly sounded like a tough - and fun - one!

Ewen said...

Those last few words... isn't that what we all do?

You managed hygiene/hydration/gu at the same time... impressive Dave.

Wave 4 for me - hope I don't catch you. Hope I catch Jim though ;)

Superflake said...

Good to hear you have entered Dave. Probably see you at Mosman this weekend? h5 and b10 sounds like good training to me.

miners said...

mate - don't konw how you slipped off my radar (bl**y new blogger I suspect). Great to see your 6FT training is oging well again this year. You'll smash it once and for all this year after your huge base you built up late last year. Looking forward to seeing a hugely positive race report!

2P said...

Nice work - glad to hear the entry is in :-)

I'm doing the reverse taper thing too now (or will be if I can get running again).