Tuesday, November 02, 2010

And now, the end is near....

So it is 3 months since I started training again with the goal of GNW. A quick summary of recent activity and then a review of my overall progress.


After the Striders Half PB and a recovery run on the Monday, back to the gym for a treadmill session. Continually improving here with now 6.5 1km reps @ 4min/km pace. Then a good hit out tempo run for Summer Series. I decided to use te long run at Bobbin Head as a hit out for GNW and so loaded up the camelbak. Tough going up the track out of Bobbin Head but as soon as we hit level ground the legs took over and we ran hard all teh way back, just under 30km with an average pace of 5:09!


Back to the hill reps on what should be called Threshhold Tuesday and again an improvement, increasing the number of reps by one, but also decreasing average rep time. A long bash at summer series on Wednesday and then a rest as I tried to sort out an emerging PF problem. Decided to run the CR 5km on Saturday hard and test the PB. Splits were

3:40, 3:44, 3:52 and then 7:57 for the last 2 km, forgot the 4km marker to give me 19:14 which is a 1 second PB! Probably could have done better if I went out a tad slower...


Sunday saw the Running Wild event at Woodford and was a good hitout up some testing hills and technical single track. Ran well against some of my usual benchmark runners but not sure how I did overall. Finally today, back to the gym for my final treadmill hitout. I decided to up the ante and am surprised how I went, running 8 reps @ 3:55 pace with 1:30 jog recovery. This means things must be looking good for the last 10km of the year on Saturday at Lane Cove!


So to a review, I started my campaign on August 1, weighing 85.1 kg. Today I tipped the scales at 77.2kg, I've run 840 km in the 3 months with a total vertical of just over 10km and have had 47 sugar free days from 94. Not only am I in probably the best running form I have ever been in, I know there is a lot more in the tank to come (be scared any beer betters reading this!).


I'll start to ease up a little now but still with 2 Summer Series events plus the Striders 10km before GNW, I'll get some intensity in. Here's a shot from the Running Wild event on Sunday.


1 comment:

Ewen said...

All the best with the 10k and taper Dave. Top photo! You look like Rob de Castella's better looking identical twin brother ;)