Thursday, April 06, 2006

"The Plan"

Deep breath!

After some sekrit panel beating sessions with some experts I think I have my legs/glute/back in as good a shape as possible. For sure I am going in a little underdone after a dodgy February and then the traumas of March. However I think the work done in Dec/Jan is still valuable.

I know a few people who are targetting a 3:15 line time for Canberra (a couple are aiming to keep going and knock off 50km in 4 hours!). So I will go out at that pace with a few good men (don't know of any females planning on joining us). That translates to a 4:37 min/km, will probably take it out at 4:35 target pace and see how things shape up.

To Compare, plan vs LY
5km 22:55 22:14
10km 45:50 44:13
15km 1:08:45 1:06:10
Half 1:36:42 1:34:00
Finish 3:15:00 3:40:24 (allowing for slight slow down)

This is as much to convince myself that if I head out slower then I have a better chance to achieve what I am aiming for.....

Driving down Saturday morning with a couple of other runners and then doing a carbo load lunch, looking at a more "normal" dinner given the early start and my tummy problems from last year. Weather gods seem to be happier this year with all the Brisvegans shaking in their ugh boots about the cold temperature, as MPH said, for a sweathog like me cold is so much better :)

Wow, I forgot that I still managed to do a 3:40 last year, it seemed so much slower/disappointing at the time!

Good running to all readers who are also running, I can't agree more with the words vat published about marathon running being one of the few sports that luck is a minimal factor on the day.

8 comments:

Spud said...

All the best Dave on Sunday, no doubt we'll catch up out there.
Hope you have a blinder mate!

Spud said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
2P said...

All the best Dave - Good plan ;-)

Before Six Foot this year I just ate normally all day on the Friday and did my loading on the Wednesday & Thursday - it seemed to work much better for me.

Tesso said...

bpDave, I just wanted to let you know that your 6ft story factored in my decision to start on Sunday. It made me realise whatever the outcome its all good. So thanks ... I think ;-)

See ya tomorrow!

Gronk said...

Best of luck mate !

Superflake said...

Hope you have a great race Dave.Must start slower than last year and hope the groin stays put and you can keep going and at least do under 3:30 if you slow down in the 3rd lap. Cheers mate.

Katie said...

See you tommorow!!!
So I wont wish you luck... just run well, stay safe and see you out there :-)

Bennyr said...

Best of luck, Dave - run well.

Cheers,
Ben