Thanks to all for the comments re GNW.
Since GNW things have been hectic, with a week in Singapore. Upon my return I headed out to SMC to see how the legs would take to running again. I actually felt pretty fresh bust running at pace my HR went a little haywire and so I modulated my pace to the HR, which saw me alternating places with a few people over a few km. Also not helping was my digestive system "complaining" a little....
At about 13km and the drink station on the way back out the gut complained again and given I was starting to drift on pace the ole heartilidge snapped and I really could not be bothered to keep going. After some rehydration I turned around and walked back most of the way. What did hearten me was the concern from pretty much all and sundry re why I was walking, too bad it was from a "couldn't be stuffed attitude".
So from there some more time off, I have now officially designated this as a "mental health break". Tonight I braved the oppressive heat for summer series around West Lindfield and Lane Cove National Park (the eastern side). A couple of oops' but when I left I was actually top of the leader board so go figure....
It felt good to stretch the legs out but a struggle to get home, the original plan was for a PB crack at the Central Coast Half, I'll still probably have a go but now thoughts start drifting to that certain 46km distance in March where I have a LOT of unfinished business......
More soon (even regular stuff) I promise!!
6 comments:
These long runs take a bit of recovery - you should know that! The toll they take tends to sneak up on you. I think you did well to get to the 13k mark.
Anyway, it was great to catch up. Hopefully see you again soon.
Good to hear from you mate - I was starting to thing those Teralbin gypsies had stolen you ;-)
Yeah you need to do something about that 6' thing - you know you have unfinished business when my PB is better than yours :-p
I wasn't as surprised to see you walking back as I was to see where you were in the field given you had run a very tough 52km the week before. Those big ultras really sap you mentally as well as physically. Good idea to have the mental health break. Come back when you are fresh and ready to roll again.
Dave,
Have a breather mate and I'll see you out on the road soon enough I'm sure! I was enjoying our little tussle at SMC, seemed just like ol' times!, but with what you've achieved over the last couple of months, I can't claim Sunday as a win!
Look out next March!
Prof
After GNW a DNF is neither here nor there Dave. You deserve a health break.
2P must have a bloody good 6' PB - I must look it up some time!
mental health break well deserved I think :)
Post a Comment