Monday, March 05, 2007

tick tock....

More disrupted running plans, last week saw me in Seoul for most of the week for work. This also seemed to entail drinking my body weight in beer and whisky as part of "bonding" with my potential new business partners and their customers.....

However, I did manage to pull on the racing shoes for Saturday morning at Homebush and went out at a semi-sensible pace that I managed to hold for a while before fading a little. In the last km I did try and up the tempo with success hauling in a few people on the surge to the line which was somewhat pleasing as usually I am the haulee. Ended up with 44:17 a little higher than expected but pleasing anyway.

Sunday saw the Balmain Bungle STaR and with the legs a little done from the 10km I opted to run with the 6am group, first time in ages and a bit of an eye opener. The front pace was floating around 5:30 or below and got involved in quite a heated "discussion" with the ring leader who insisted on walking on ahead after he had first use of the tap at water stations and not waiting for others to have their drink. Did the 25km short cut which turned out to be about 23km but I actually walked in the last 2km or so with another Strider who had a knee injury.

As some will have seen my plans for Six Foot are falling into place with me acting as one of the 7 hour pacer/sweepers. My job is to run at 7 hour pace which is the cutoff for people to qualify for a medal and being officially recorded as having finished. Some mechanics still to work out but at this point it seems likely I will be at the back of wave 3.

7 comments:

Tesso said...

The old running etiquette issue comes up in our little group from time to time. If you are running in a pack heading off before everybody has had a drink at a water stop is the worst possible offence!

Enjoy your week. Even though you are the sweeper I guess you still have to treat it as a race and taper and carbo load etc.

2P said...

Big day out 7 hours on the track - make sure you put the factor 30 on!

Unless it is at the start or the finish I sincerely hope I don't see you ;-p

2P said...

PS - be careful with that broom :-)

Ewen said...

That means you'll be chatting to Plu as you go by on the Black Range!

From Wave 4, I hope to catch you some time Dave. Maybe the Cattleyards aid station and we can stop and have a chat over some water melon?

Superflake said...

See you at the start Dave. Hope I don't see you after that, no offence. Actually it is Action I don't want to see. Enjoy the race mate.

Don Juan said...

Best wishes for six foot Dave.
Looks like a good strategy to go out and enjoy it!

Jen said...

I'll be in Wave 4 Dave so if all goes to plan, I should see you on the track somewhere near Caves House. How excitment. And scary!

See you at the start!