Monday, October 15, 2007

Hot running

So just under 2 months since my last run, the ill fated "10km" race in Singapore and here I am going back out.

The plan was an exploration run to seek out a few areas that I had heard off and try and identify some good options for the future.

About a km from home is a canal (ex river) that looked pretty flat and on checking the maps seemd to link up to quite a nice park area called Bishun Park. So down to the "river" and was interested to see that not only was it pretty flat but also had 100m distance markings painted on the path which seemed to be pretty accurate!

A couple of km later and I hit Bishun Park which was welcome as it had some good shade under trees. Lots of people out and about through here but no real traffic problems. Right at the end of the park the river ended at the bottom of a dam for one of the islands water resevoirs, I ran up a little further to check it out as this is where the "jungle" starts and I have heard there are some very good trails through here (not today though).

Coming back I started to fade through the heat and added a few stops to cool down, which were also handy to get an idea of where water was as there seems to be a dearth of taps/bubblers available, lucky I had a hand held to keep me going.

Finally back home feeling quite average and sweating heavily, after a cold shower and then a swim in the pool I started to feel human again! I did a pre and post run weigh in, the pre run was a little scary, 83kg, yikes talk about a lardy! The post run saw me at 81.4kg, so a drop of 1.6kg.

As expected it will take a while to climatise, but at least I've started with 14.6km in 1:24:47 or avg pace of 5:47, the avg HR tells it all though with 176! The legs have pulled up reasonably ok, although I expect DOMS on Tuesday... I think the cardio training is going to be just as hard as actual muscle with the added heat complication.

Heres a satellite view of the run for anyone interested.

Oh and in my tourist roaming of Singapore I think I have uncovered an excellent hill/mountain already to go to work on but am expecting more good discoveries when I hit the trails proper! Never know if I might need these if I am to try and target 6 ft next year.....

6 comments:

Ewen said...

At least 6' will seem cool after Singapore, no matter what the day.

83kg - that's getting up towards Mr G and 2P!

Sling Runner said...

Hi Dave,

I was referred to you by Hamburglar. I used to post in CR Australa as The Slow & The Furious (TSTF).

I am now approaching my last days in Perth and will be returning to Singapore next week (I am Indonesian but lived in Singapore in 2001 and have spent the last 3 years in Oz). We'll live in Robertson area near Orchard.

I hope we can meet and train/race together since our times are pretty similar. Whereabout do you live in Singapore?

Here's my blog
http://slingrunner.blogspot.com/

TA and the Gnome said...

Dave,

Good to see you back running, even if you're not back running here! :-)

Gnome

Bennyr said...

Good to hear from you, Dave.

Looks like the first exploratory run found a good course - that's always a bonus.

Cheers,
Ben

NottsLad said...

I used to live in Singapore. By the looks of your map - you're close to Macritchie Reservoir... and it'll be Bishan Park!

You should check out MacRitchie Runners. They have a series of events. From memory - they have a regular 10km run around the reservoir.

Good luck running in that heat / humidity!

Jen said...

Six Foot is going to seem positively cool after summer in Singapore.

Glad to hear that you have settled in & are getting back into it.