Thanks for the Striders comparisons folks, at least with Striders you get a map and know where you should finsh and have faster runners comng through to keep the navigation on track :)
So on Sunday I ventured back to Macritchie for a lap, saw the MR25 team out there for their 10km run/race but I am in need of longer stuff at this point...
Then on Sunday afternoon my parents arrived from Sydney and Monday was lost in last minute catching up, tidying up work loose ends and final packing for our short holiday!!!!
Yes Tuesday morning we hopped on the ferry for a short (45 min) ride to Bintan, an Indonesian island not far from Singapore, with a number of resorts, including a Club Med. The island has a number of highly rated golf courses including Ria Bintan, a stones through from Club Med and rated as the best course in Asia (or is that SE Asia?).
Anyway they did have a running map, although it was quite rudimentary and I headed off in the afternoon for a look see. The map included some sections of the golf course and, well, there were a few climbs to mix things up.
So over the 5 days we were there I ran three times, each on a different route, and came back absolutely stuffed. I also swam quite a bit with the kids, played 18 holes (quite pleasing form considering) and sailed a few times on the Hobie catamarans at the resort with a little bit of sea kayaking as well ( a nice pic might end up getting posted....). At the same time I made good advantage of the great buffets and bar services as well, ending up in adding a little extra weight in the short stay :(
Back Saturday afternoon and then out again this morning for an increased Macritchie and Peirce loop which was a little easier due to the cloud cover and starting a little earlier.
Last week saw 46km in total of running which I am sure breaks many 10% rules but that will be the theme of the next few months.
ps The Indo monkeys are certainly not as friendly/tame as the Singaporean versions!
2 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a week!
Great to have you back blogging regularly again!
I never needed a map... I just ran with the group that was 'supposed' to do 5:30 kms, but I knew they'd be doing 5:00s. Therefore, easy to keep up and not get lost.
Just don't break the 10% weight-gain rule Dave, although I thought the real heat and humidity would have helped with that ;)
Post a Comment