Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year

Firstly a Happy New Year to any/all readers, I hope 2008 exceeds your expectations!!

OK so now that is out of the road time to review 2007 and preview 2008.

I would have to say that 2007 was a very big and busy year, but alas not so on the running front. With a family holiday to the US in January followed by new work responsibilities which culminated in my family relocating to Singapore. Thankfully I did get some running in but a pretty poor total year, just over 1000km but way below the last couple of years. Probably the highlight of the year was doing the 24 hour Rogaine with Mr G in early May. I did actually get started on some running in October/November but then lost motivation. (again)

Anyway on to 2008....

Time to set some goals and work towards them, so first up what more to get some focus than a 10 week campaign to get me to the start of Six Foot in some sort of shape? It is feasible but will be tough, just the sort of challenge needed to ensure focus.

So some other events/goals on the radar and some notes....
- March Six Foot (quite likely, there is another Aussie expat also interested)
- May - there is a chance I will need to go to the US in May for work and so I have identified a couple of ultras that I might try my hand at if things firm up
- May Sundown Night Marathon (a new marathon in Singapore held at night, the ultra is already full!)
- July Gold Coast (will need to check the DTI on that one)
- July Osim Tri (shock horror!)
- August Australian Rogaine Championships (handy to a mates place, just need a partner/s)
- September Singapore Half Ironman or Glasshouse (choices, choices...)
- November GNW (unfinished business)

So you will see some sort of theme, it is official I am also planning on getting back on the bike. This is a "kill 2 birds with one stone approach", some good non impact aerobic cross training which will also help for 6ft (quads) but also to deal with building endurance in the tropical climate, the way I sweat cycling will certainly keep me cooler. There are some good packs it seems up here so I am dusting off the knicks in preparation.

So I have also (sadly) updated my tables over there ------------->

The goal of sub 40 at 40 is now off the radar, not enough shorter races up here and so I am heading towards longer endurance approach for a while, which should also help with the couple of extra kg's I have put on (currently 82.1kg). The hope/plan is that if I can build endurance up here then longer runs in cooler climes will seem a walk in the park!

So buckle the setbelts as I careen off on a "new plan" and lets see what happens. For interest sake I have also added a picture of Macritchie Reservoir, which I will see a lot of over the next few months :)

Good running (and now riding!) to all fellow bloggers and readers for 2008, hope to see you during one of my visits back to Oz, of course always timed to coincide with a race of some sort.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Glad to hear of your blog's revival & happy new year! I wish you and your family all the best for 2008.

Tesso said...

Happy New Year Dave!!!

Hopefully we'll catch up sometime in 2008 - GC maybe.

PS I like the sound of a night marathon :)

Superflake said...

Happy New Year Dave. Hope all the plans come off. Probably will see you at Six Foot.

Ewen said...

It'll be good to see you on March 8 Dave (I'll be with the 6:15-6:59:59 pacing group).

I'm devastated to hear you've canned the sub-40 at 40. That was the only reason I was reading your blog ;)

All the best for improved form, and domestic tranquility index, in 2008!