Two weeks on and I am getting into the swing of things, the weekend of my last post saw a mini "brick" session with the ANZA bunch on Saturday (just under 75km @ 31.3) followed by a run (just under 10km @ 5:38) where I struggled home.
Then I travelled down under and did a run in Melbourne with one of our senior management from the US as a bit of a break from all the meetings. I think collectively we went out a little too fast and after about 2km I realised that his breathing was getting eratic. Not a good career move to "break" a SVP so I eased up a little and we enjoyed the return leg along the Yarra.
For the weekend I was in Sydney and so planned my schedule to go and do the STAR with Striders. Mindful of the fact that I had no real idea as to my current running capability I thought it best to run with the 7am group (ok the extra hour sleep after watching Cadel ride the ITT was also a factor). A decent sized group with quite a few that I have run with before. We did the Tourist Trot and it was a good exercise as the stronger runners had a very decent go at each hill and then waited for the group at the top. Running back through Darlinghurst and Oxford Street I was running with the main group and a few of the faster runners had stretched out ahead. As we swung off Oxford Street I decided to up my tempo and see if I could catch them. Seems they were also ramping up and so it was a real effort to try and reel them in. Finally as we ran along Driver Ave next to the SCG I lifted again and starting hauling them in, actually blastign straight past and holding the effort back to the start. Later I realised I was actually running at around 4min/k pace over the last km or so, a massive difference to my usual struggle home in the Singapore heat and humidity!
Wednesday I was back in Melbourne and lined up for the Street O event near Doncaster with my trusty headlight. Very pleased with this run, I collected all 20 controls and made it back to the start within the hour allowed with another lung busting surge towards the end. (10.75km @ 5:14 min/km). Again amazing to finish not completely lathered in sweat. Good to also quickly catch up with Louise as well.
EDIT - Results are up !here and I finished a credible 8th, not bad for a lardy with minimal training :)
Today back in Singapore and on the bike for the Kranji ride, a decent bunch and testing ride a tad slower than 2 weeks ago but I felt stronger towards the end. I'm going to tart up the bike a little shortly with some clip ons to get ready for the Tri and I think it also needs a service soon.
Plans for tomorrow see a longer run and then also back to the pool with the kids as part of their squad for a "logical" Tri over the weekend.
Fat Bastard stakes see the scales unmoved and standing at 85kg
2 comments:
Definitely sounds like progress - and a very busy week - to me!
The TT was one of my favourites.
Nice navigating - you beat Jason by one point.
Post a Comment