Monday, September 21, 2009

Sydney Marathon

In reflecting/analysing post race I discovered this was my first road marathon in 3 years, the last being Sydney in 2006! Going into the race I was quietly confident of a good performance, my long distance runs had been strong and at a good pace and my tempo runs just kept on getting faster and faster over the same distance.

Not ideal final week preparation as I found myself in Mumbai, but a few Marathon Pace runs, before I left and then there on the treadmill left me feeling good.

Sunday morning and I was a little worried to hear the weather, 17 degrees but 90% humidity, not a good sign for when the sun really came out as no clouds in sight.

The family were doing the 4km fun run and so we all lobbed into the start, I went off for final preps and caught up with a few people and then very quickly we were lining up.

I wont go into a km by km, blow by blow account, the summary is that I was running at a good, but comfortable pace and hit the western distributor ahead of goal time and feeling good. Within 5km nearing Norton St I was starting to falter, a combination of the hills and heat, the evil twins.

A pitstop in the loos at 35km did nothing to help and from there it was a real grind to get to the opera house, anyway I finished and am upbeat about the overall run, despite the last 7 odd km. Anyway, this was mostly a stepping stone towards GNW so onwards we go!!

The 5km splits will speak for themselves....

Dist 5km Overall
5km 0:22:21 0:22:21
10km 0:23:24 0:45:45
15km 0:23:33 1:09:18
20km 0:23:04 1:32:32
25km 0:23:35 1:55:57
30km 0:24:54 2:20:51
35km 0:30:50 2:50:56
40km 0:38:10 3:29:06

Finish 3:42:09

3 comments:

Superflake said...

A great effort Dave. From Black Stump to Marathon in 9 months. Hope GNW works out well for you.

Ewen said...

Well done Dave. Lovely day, but the marathoners had the worst of the weather. You were going well up to 30k. Super ugly last 5k split, but you get that in marathons.

Good luck for the rest of the GNW prep.

Horrie said...

Looks like the wheels fell off at 30km. The last 12km were always going to be tough in those conditions. Good to see you back at it having a crack. Just the way I remember you. See ya at GNW.