Not a perfectly scheduled race for a fast 10km time only one week out from Canberra and also a tight twisty udulating course, described as not a PB run!
Anyway, got there early to help setup, next month I am flying solo on the timing/results so this was a dry run while I could have some mentoring as required. I have found one of the good things about being involved in the setup is that is distracts from any pre race nerves.
Next thing you know it I'm with just over 300 runners near the point of Lady Macquarie's Chair opposite the Opera House at the start line. Course is three laps and a little bit around Lady Macquarie's chair and The Domain. Heavy congestion for the first couple of km but I am surprised with the splits I am recording as they are faster than I though I was going.
Settle in at a steady pace which felt real comfortable and it just happens to coincide to being about 15-20 metres behind vat_man. At the same time I am swapping places with a couple of other Striders who are usually a bit quicker than I am. Coming through the final lap I missed the 9km marker and decided just to run the same steady pace to the line and not go crazy, knowing I was close to a PB but not stressing about it.
Ended up across the line just behind the group I had been tailing and with a new PB of 41:14, a ten second improvement. The best thing is I ran within myself and felt relatively composed at the end.
Splits were
1km 4:14 4:14
2km 4:00 8:14
3km 3:44 11:58
4km 4:17 16:15
5km 4:13 20:28
6km 3:58 24:26
7km 4:16 28:43
8km 4:30 33:12
10km 8:02 41:14
This is yet another great positive piece of feedback for Canberra. The week summary is 53km but the real interesting thing is the Parrot Predictor says a 2:59:44!!
With 7 days to go this week is critical in the taper and will have no high intensity or long distance. For tomorrow I'm probably going to do the STaR but run the 7am group at an easy pace with a few mates for about 15km.
3 comments:
Congratulations on the PB dave.
After those 1k reps during the week and the 5k at the bay last week it looked on the cards. Looks great for Canberra.
You're on fire at the moment Dave. Somebody get a hose! Congratulations mate. Just shows what consistent hard work can do. You are looking on track to make it 3 PBs out of 3 next week.
awesome PB, dave! a 4:11 pace for the 10k? that's fantastic! and the parrot can't be wrong, you're on pace to do a sub 3 hr!
Post a Comment