Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Tapering time

Sunday

The Striders STaR was based at Balmoral this week and has a number of hills and singletrack over the long distance. In the end I decided to show up at 7am and run the shorter option at a gentle pace. Quite a group as the MTG planned to do the same thing and I ran along with Redback and Mohammed near the front most of the time, pausing at water stops to regroup. As we came into Mosman the longer runners were coming the other way and I did a fartlek type run up the long hill from the Mosman Ferry wharf to tag onto the back of the 6:20 group. Left them there though and continued up the hill. As I waited for the group to catch up Luke Skyrunner came through, cutting short his long run and I joined in with him to run back to the start. Probably around 12-13km all up at around 6 min/km pace. Very easy!

Canberra prep
A few things on the checklist this week and the short "racing " hair cut has happened, the legs are waxed and I've booked a massage for towards the end of the week. Missed the run this morning so will pop out this afternoon for a nice "recovery" run.

Am still tossing up my pacing strategy but am leaning towards (in 10km increments)
45/44/44/43/9 which will give 3:05 (some rounding in there). The fall back is to run @ 4:30 pace the whole way which will give around a 3:10. Ultimately at the 30km mark I will be running as hard/fast as I and anything could happen....

No comments: