Pre Race
Drove down on Saturday morning with Colin and Gasher, after checking in wandered over to the start/rego had a quick look and caught up with Uncle Dave and Papa Luigi who then joined us for a loading lunch at Manuka. Back to the start area and cheered on various runners in the 5km/10km while catching up with all sorts of people at the same time. Then headed into the city for dinner with the Striders MTG.
Race Day
Quite cool, but not uncomfortable as we headed out. In the masses Action and Graham S moved out about 15-20m in front as I settled in runnign with Graham Wye (who I ran part of PMC with) and the 3:15 pace bunch about another 20m behind. Up and around the top of Parliament House and I moved away Graham and caught Action, 5km split was 23:09. Back down to the turn around for the first time, missing the 10km split but roughly 46:22 (23:13) so a little slower than planned but on target. At the turnaround the 3:15 group caught us with Colin carrying the flag while the official pacer made a pit stop. From here the running was good as our tight group rolled along, also a few more Striders in there for company including Barry.
Accordingly the next 5km was a little quicker as we ran along Parkes Way, posting a 22:47 on the way down to the turnaround. Coming back up to 20km another 22:47 and I was just starting to feel the pinch a little. The half marathon split helped make my mind up as we went through in 96, a bit ahead of schedule and so I opted to ease off. Action caught me having also made a quick pitstop and we had a quick chat before he moved ahead after crossing back over the lake.
By the time I got to the turnaround again I was struggling a little with a 23:36 5km split. A few people who saw me at the turn commented to me afterwards that I looked like I was struggling....
Knowing I did not have a heap of miles in the legs from the last couple of months I focussed on just keeping running and avoiding the looming cramps as people started overtaking. While it was a struggle I did not experience anything like what happened at Six Foot or at Canberra last year. At the turnaround I had a massive lock up in my RH hammie but managed to ease it and start the climb back up the hill. Near the tunnel Claire and Shelley caught me and I gave Clairie a good cheer/pep as they went through. By now I knew I'd make it and just wanted to finish under 3:30.
Finally onto the bridge and through the parliament house area and managed to pick up the pace a little again in the last km or so. As I got to the last corner and the crowd another guy had appeared at my shoulder and as we hit the straight I was determined not to let him past so wound up and ran as fast as the legs would allow and he cramped up letting me past as we finished. A finish time of 3:28:49 officially.
Post Mortem
As alluded, given the lack of recent good distance in the legs I am actually pleased to post a sub 3:30 time. The legs have pulled up pretty well but I did smash the feet a little with blisters and blood blisters. A great weekend catching up with a whole heap of runners, some great performances and PB's/debuts. Now to focus on getting some leg speed going over winter. Probable next marathon is Sydney and I'd ideally like to approach this race, not only with a lot more distance in training but also with a close to 39 minute 10km time and sub 19 5km time so that is the focus.
Thanks to all who regularly read/comment, I'll finally update some of the tables to the right to show my recent training efforts.
8 comments:
Mate - fantastic race report, and a fantastic race to go along with it. Geez, it's not that far off the PB anyway!
blisters aside, I'm glad you had such a great time down there with the guys - and like many others, I wish I could have been there with you :)
Congrats again Dave and great report. Hmmmm Sydney Marathon......
nice showing, dave. must be nice to have the canberra monkey off your back.
Great run yesterday Dave and a fantastic effort to finish under 3:30. When Luckylegs and I saw you around the 39km mark, you really looked like you were struggling. Another great example of milking every ounce of effort to get a great result.
Good result Dave on staggered training, I bet it won't take long to break the 40min 10km barrier either.
Congratulations on a great run Dave particularly given you didn't have the best preparation.
Spud is right: the sub-40mins is very close!
Great run Dave, and also great to finally meet you in Canberra.
Dave, I'm sorry it didn't go according to 'The Plan'. Still, 3:28 is a good salvage job.
If you can get close to 39 for 10 and 'Canberra' weather in Sydney you'll give that 3:15 a scare.
Post a Comment