Sunday, April 30, 2006

Novice XC 10km Race

Another step in my plan to get faster this week with my First Athletics NSW event, the appropriately named Novice Cross Country 10km race at Ramsgate. I opted not to do the light run planned on Friday as the previously mentioned niggle in the rhs heel/achilles was still evident, the extra day did make a difference!

Got down to Ramsgate at about 2pm to sort out entry and race numbers and then watch the other races on the program catching up with fellow striders at the same time. The time came for us to head off and a decent field lined up. The course was around parklands with 2 x large loops (around 3km) and then 2 x smaller loops (around 2km).

Probably out a bit hot (as usual) with Garmin saying I hit 5km in 19:54, around here Blue Dog surged past but I was holding my pace and place pretty well. With around 3km to go seagull caught me and enthused to keep up with him, pretty hard when I had been running as hard as I could to stay in front of him!

Ended up with a time of 42:15 which is about right. The running surface was certainly soft underfoot and very sandy in some places. Others who had run here before said it is probably a course that would be a minute slower than a road 10km time.

Stats
Distance 10km (although Garmin said 10.09
Time 42:15
Average Pace 4:13
Avg HR 181 (my highest for sometime!)

The niggly heel went ok, quite pleased with the hit out and good upside for improvement, especially given this is still only 3 weeks recovery from Canberra.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah was hoping I could pull you through and we could work together over the back end of the race.

Not to be this time. I reeled you in pretty slowly, so I thought you would be able to sit on me. (I know I can go a little harder if I have someone to sit on)

Seems to be the pattern in the races we are in, you are out faster and I either catch you or I don't, but we are never actually running together! Shame, given how close our times are at the moment.

Horrie said...

Good run yesterday Dave. If you ever get these injuries sorted out, imagine how fast you could go.

Superflake said...

Good run today Dave. Definitely felt slow running with all the sand that seemed to be around those trees near the aussie rules oval. I didn't measure it but I trust it was close to 10k anyway.