Sorry for the massive delay folks.
I did do a few more blackberry blog posts but blogger refused to let them through.
I'll post a much more comprehensive report, including the missing posts.
Summary
Halfway through stage 2 I was feeling the pinch a little, especially the heat. I made a slight nav error shortly after that which cost me some time. Upon reaching Congewai Rd the sun was merciless, I had been rationing myself water but had stopped sweating about 1 km along the road I completely emptied the camelbak, 3 litres in just over 3 hours!
By the time I got to CP2 I knew I was severly dehydrated and overheated. After a effort to try and rehydrate and cool down I realised it would take sometime to get myself to a state where it would be sensible to continue and decided to withdraw.
A few others were there in a similar state, including Hermie.
A wise decision I reckon as I was still crook 6 hours later, the gut unable to accept any attempt I made to try and rehydrate and/or eat something.
Edit - A massive thanks to all who read my remote posts and commented and may have been concerned, thank you!!!!
Also a little more heartened after reading the CR GNW thread, people much better than I will ever be also struggled/withdrew
8 comments:
Tough day for it. I'm so glad wisdom won out over terstosterone :-)
I hope that the gut returns to normal before too long, and congrats for giving it a go.
Gnome
loved the live blog. well done on giving it a go. A very sensibile decision to withdraw. There's always next year :)
congratulations on a supreme effort mate. dehydration is something that takes a long time to recover from or can be seriously, serious as you well know, so I'm truly glad you took the sensible option :)
Great decision Dave - I believe truly great men know their limitations and when to call it a day - I can't abide by people who take it too far and then need rescue - so well done mate.
Hopefully I'll be seeing you on the start line next year ;-)
A wise decision Dave. Looking forward to a full report.
Good move to withdraw Dave. No point in smashing yourself physically if you are going to be out of action for a long time afterwards because of 1 race. Better luck next time mate.
Gees Dave, you sure know how to pick them!
I'm so pleased you called it a day when you did. Good thing is it shouldn't be too long before you are back training and running normally.
I'm looking forward to the blow by blow description.
Take care, rest up, and recover.
You did the right thing Dave. Sounds like a horrible day for it. 3 litres in 3 hours and still dehydrated says it all.
Rest up and take care.
Of course, you'll have to do it again, to iron out the bugs in the live blogging ;)
Post a Comment