Well a scare for my PB :)
After rain on Friday and lower temperatures forecast for Saturday the Striders 10km circus returned to Lane Cove for the last race of the season. Going "Actionless" on both timing and course layout but all went well in set up with the new tent being erected over the top of computer and timing gear in case of the inclement weather returning.
Not much time to chat or warm up as the crowd descended across the weir for the start. A few words of advice from Joe and we were off!
Pretty clear running from the get go and I was in just behind Blue Dog who was operating the targetting radar on Superflake. At about a km Coaster slowly drifted past and I was also running near Sawdust so I decided to see how long I could follow them. At the top of Scribblys I was surprised to see that I was a little closer to the leaders than usual and Sportsman gave me a cheer as he saw me not too far behind him. Actually went past both Coaster and Sawdust on the descent and then they slowly went past as we ran along the flat section where I do my 1km reps.
I knew I had some time in the bank and so opted to try and not bust myself up the hill but held my position fairly well. Caught back up to coaster at the drinks station and tried to attack the downhill. The slight climb before 7km hurt a little and I felt like I was struggling a little along that flat section, reinforced by the others pulling away. The climb just after 8km seemed a little better but I still could not hold the gap on the others. Just after here Will edged past and I gritted the teeth, knowing I was still a chance to PB, but not break 40.
In the last km there were quite a few footsteps behind me and I held them off pretty well with only 1 or 2 slipping past. Still had enough for a raised effort across the weir but Paul S just got me before the line!
End up with 40:38, only 10 seconds off my PB and am, I suppose ok with that, certainly better than Homebush. If I had held on to Coaster and Sawdust for sure I would have cracked my PB as they posted 39:59 andd 40:06 respectively. So only really the last 2.5km that got me and the splits show this
Stats
Distance 10km (duh!)
Time 40:38
Avg pace 4:05
Avg HR 179
Splits
1km 3:53 3:53
2km 3:53 7:46
3km 3:58 11:44 (Scribblys)
4km 4:01 15:45
5km 4:23 20:08 (Rangers hut)
6km 4:05 24:13 (Up to the gate and back down the hill)
7km 4:01 28:14 (on pace and 40 still within reach)
8km 4:12 32:26 (not a good km, especially since it is flattish)
9km 4:15 36:41 (that hill after 8km mark!)
10km 3:57 40:38
Certainly gave it crack and I reckon with a bit more hill work and speed reps things will tumble. Obviously more than half human with the lurgy on the decline. A cruisy 20 odd km planned tomorrow for the STaR and then just some work through the week to keep the legs kicking over.
6 comments:
Nice run Dave, almost cracked the PB. Good luck with the GNW 100k.
Great run Dave. I had you in sight through the first km before you ran away from me. You were certainly very strong on the hills.
Good solid run. Take care during the week and I will see you next weekend for your switch to the "darkside".
Good effort Dave. The bubble treatment during the week must have worked.
The 8th and 9th ks were a bit ugly - you must have been going hard prior to that. Now you can switch to dark-side mode.
Nice work Dave and great job in your successful assumption of the Presidency as this final part of the series will testify - "Actionless" it may have been - but it was indeed "O'Runnerful"!
That 40min barrier is looking mighty scared and not just because we recently had Halloween either ;-)
Bloody fabulous effort there Dave! Certainly seem to be in top form across many distances.
Post a Comment