Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The week that wasn't

Ok quite a deal going/gone on since the last post, but I try to avoid the title "update" for my intermittent blogs!

After the West Met success I had decent intentions of a long run on Sunday, but given it was Mothers Day (and I was flying out in the afternoon!) I judged that the DTI was in much more need of focus than 30km in the legs....

A nice Mothers Day family lunch saw me then dropped off at the airport for a whirlwind few days. A few days in Singapore and then a quick stopover in Bangkok for some more meetings eventually saw me back in Sydney early Thursday morning, just before the fog closed the airport! I actually got home around 6am and was tempted to go for a head clearing run but instead slept for around 3 hours before going off for a 3 hour customer presentation.

So this then brings me to the SMH, I had subscribed to the whole 90 min bus thread on cool running and even though I knew I had no chance, I thought I'd go out and see what happens. Started a bit further back in teh field than normal but was running in the clear after about 30 seconds and slotted in just ahead of Eagle and Greg. The pace felt ok but as I hit each hill I could sense the effort and on the way back out of Lady Macquaries chair I slid off the back of the back of the bus. I held them in sight until Argyle hill where I slowed a bit further. At the finish line I judge that I was on around 92 minute pace however at each climb the legs complained more and more. At the drinks stop at Lady Macquaries chair I did a walk break and by now the heart rate was down from around 175 when I was doing the 4:15 pace to 145 at god knows what pace! There was absolutely nothing left in the legs and for sure it was no a good sight as I ground my way back to the finish.

Popped up to the Striders HQ and chatted for a while and then walked with Horrie towards the CR watering hole. We had a good chat and I fessed up that for me at the moment that I am finding running frustrating. This is really as a result of what else is going on in real life.

Work has become even busier, with more responsibility and probably more travel, a growing family is obviously number one focus and we are spinning into a whole lot of after school committments, my extra curricular activities such as the Striders stuff is always still there and at the moment, despite the best intentions running and especially training is coming last.

Hopefully I can get over this hump of extra work and Striders stuff (annual presentation night) but the biggest problem with my running has been the lack of long runs, it seems ages since I did a full 30km star and it is now dawning as to the way these runs have helped me in the past.

Anyway, such is life and I'll squeeze in what I can, when I can, I just need to enjoy what I can do rather than hoping to achieve what I might be able to do if I was training properly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The grind to the finish may have been worth it. Looking at the team results, they currently have, in 2nd place:

DIVISION 4 - TEAMS
FA - ALL MALE

2 SYDNEY STRIDERS 270:51
Gerry Arthur 79:04
Neil Anderson 85:43
David Bray 106:04

Jen said...

I'm sorry to hear that life is getting in the way for you at the moment. At least I hope you get to life business class !!

TA and the Gnome said...

It'll pass. Maybe not immediately, but it will. I know that it is a cliche, but everything has its season, including after school activities :-)

Congrats on the team placing. I reckon that'd pretty cool to store away something like that.

Gnome

Horrie said...

Just get back to enjoying your running. No need to be putting any more pressure on yourself. Remember, it is a lifetime habit.

Ewen said...

It's a tough balancing act Dave. You seem to need more hours in the day than most.

Well done with the Striders stuff, and putting family first. The running will come back to you. Try not to stress about it too much. All the best.

silverfox said...

Dave

you astonish me with the amount you do get through - basically the world stops spinning without driven people like you, I feel tired just reading! At the same time you still manage to prioritise your life ensuring that everything has its place in the pecking order, with the exception of yourself!

100% agree with Horrie, just get back to enjoying your running again, it should be your 'defrag' not a burden.

Make your goals relative to the amount of time you have to devote to them. Dont get caught up keeping up with the Jones'- make sure it is your journey.

Personally as a strider I have enormous admiration for the effort and time you put in. We are very fortunate to have you in our corner!