Sunday, June 17, 2007

Speedhump

After the wet of Sunday I hopped on a plane on Monday to do another SE Asia jaunt.

On Tuesday I visited the shopping centre below our Singapore office, it is a theme shopping centre, focussed on sporting goods. So there are a number of great shops in there, including a running specialty shop. I made one purchase, knowing in advance that running up here would be hot and humid, they had quite a good range of the Nathan products in stock so I meight be back...

On Tuesday night I noticed my throat was a little scratchy, probably due to the sub zero air conditioning temp that Singapore Airlines had for the flight to Bangkok.

Wednesday morning in Bangkok I got up and despite the niggly throat headed out for a run. The hotel had provided a jogging map inside the room and I was pleased to see there was a running circuit just around the corner which is just under 2km and around a man made lake complex. I decided to head out on a tempo run, of some concern was the fact that in my warm up run to get there I was already sweating profusely. Anyway after 2 laps I was struggling to hold the pace, I held up to get to 5km, averaging 4:30 pace but my HR was hovering around 190bpm as I finished. After a break I then did a recovery run back to the hotel. It took me ages to cool down, even after a cold shower I was still sweating an hour later, not a good sign!!

Anyway the rest of the day went downhill, the throat got worse, I kept on going on my schedule and by Thursday night I felt like absolute crap. At one point I was unsure if I would even get on the plane home, but with a few drugs I did so, thankfully. Saturday I was even worse, and to think I had contemplated running PMC, it was enough of a drain to shuffle from the bedroom to the loungeroom! I did think of those hardy souls out in the rain.

Today was not much better, with a big case of night sweats, so I tripped off to the doctor as my wife was now convinced that I had bird flu or SARS! A very quick examination (bulk bill) and the doctor disgnosed a bad case of the flu/cold with bronchitis so I am on antibiotics to try and clear the respritory system.

Anyway that ends a pretty crap week, with me feeling like crap. Here's hoping the drugs kick in!!!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Ooooh, a sporting goods themed shopping centre - sounds like my idea of heaven !

Sorry to hear about the illness Dave. Hope those drugs kick in asap!

Ewen said...

Take care Dave. From the weather they had for PMC, you were lucky to be a DNS.

Camille said...

Awww poor Dave, sorry to hear you've not been well.

Unknown said...

Hey Dave where are you?? You know my life goal is to kick to your butt in a 5km run and then earn $k000 in sponsorship and story revenue afterwards. :)

cheer

murls
http://myrunninglife.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Dave, Where are you?
Come back!
Come to Greystanes on saturday, have a gallop!

vat_man said...

Wow - I'm still crook, and it looks like I got off pretty lightly!