Sunday, February 22, 2009

Top Sekrit!!!

Yes, for anyone who is actually still reading my disparate postings you are now sworn to secrecy, especially not allowed to divulge any of the news below on the beer bet thread for 6 ft.

I had wrangled/organised my way into a team for the Metrogaine today. The plan was always to use this as a time on the legs exercise and we had a nice team set up and ready for action. However, at the last minute I got asked to accompany Jonathan Worswick (TW champion and very faster ultra runner and rogainer). Of course I said yes and I think we formed a great team.

He was so much fitter/faster than me, but my map reading and navigation skills are slowly coming back. The course was set in the Eastern Suburbs, essentially East of Edgecliffe and North of Bondi and Bondi Junction.

The short summary is that we won, both the Male Veteran Category, the open Male Category and 2nd overall beind Rogaine legends and gurus Andrew and Nicole Haigh. In fact we stuffed up and answered one question wrong and if we did not do this we would have won outright!!!!

I had a real down patch at about 3.5 to 4 hours but a can of coke sorted it out pretty well. I reckon another month of training from me and we would have cleared the course (we only missed 4 controls).

The true stats will still remain secret, but I accomplished my goal, the legs are pretty toasty but I am sure this will be a positive contribution to my very abbreviated 6 ft campaign.

3 comments:

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the win Dave. The hills in Eastern Suburbs are great for Six Foot, plus the time on feet is a good thing.

Spud said...

Nice one Dave, I'm sure having run with JW at the WE100 last year, there would have been some fartlek sessions involved too.
Well done.

Ewen said...

Congrats on the medals Dave. Looks like I'll be catching up with you at Cave's House, not on the way there!