Monday, October 17, 2005

NSW 24 hour Rogaine Championships

Warning, not much running here in this post, more about long distance bush navigation, move on if that is not what you are looking for.

For the uninitiated a Rogaine is a long distance bush navigation event. You are provided with a large map with "control points" highlighted. Each control point has a value, usually ranging from 10 to 90 and also usually associated with the ease/difficulty in reaching the point. Along with the map you get a list which actually tells you the feature the control point is located, eg top of knoll, saddle, gully, spur, watercourse junction etc etc etc. It is really a long orienteering event but you get to choose which controls you visit and the route you take to get there.

I have done a few 6 hour events before but decided to step up into a 24 hour event and see how I went. My physio who also does rogaines put me onto a couple of mates of his that were planning on doing it and so we had a team (you have to do this as a minimum 2 person team).

The course was based in the Wollemi National Park near Dunns Swamp, which is about 30 minutes away from Rylestone (which is about 45 minutes east of Mudgee). I had actually been up here 12 months earlier for the NSW Orienteering Championships, but this was going to be much longer.

Up at 5:30am and on the road just after 6, travelled to Lithgow on Bells Line Rd and then towards Mudgee before heading east getting to the Hash House (the start finish point and also where they cater food for entrants during the event). Meet up with a few familiar faces and then found my new team mates Brad and Jim.

We pitched the tent and then started reviewing the map. They wanted to do the event in 2 loops, one lasting around 12-13 hours, back for a feed/rest and then out again at first light for another 6-7 hours. However the layout of the map did not really allow for this so we devised a hybrid version. While doing this fuelled up with food and drink and loaded up the camelback with everything needed out on the course. The hash house was at the southern end of the map and right at the northern end was a tea & damper camp, where you can refuel etc during the event.

Midday rolls around and we are off, heading east to pick up a few controls before turning north. About 90 minutes in and we had cleared a couple of controls but then struggled to find the next one, eventually opting to move on rather than wasting anymore time. From here we shifted westward and made some good progress. Crossing the swamp being unable to get the feet wet and then a long climb up a gully/watercourse to yet again have problems finding another control (40). Again eventually opting to keep moving. From there things went very wellpicking up a number of points with minimal navigation problems before attacking number 60 at the top of a serious climb that the course notes suggested should only be attempted in daylight. Thankfully we got to the top just as the sun was setting and were rewarded with a magnificent vista overlooking the ranges.

Down the other side to pick up a few more points and then a couple of km hike to the tea and damper stop. By now it was dark and the torches were out. We refueled with some damper and honey, cheese sandwiches and some cordial and I topped up the camelback having drained the 3 litres. Also donned my thermal vest and armwarmers and tried to tape up the blisters on my heels and replaced the socks.

At around 7:30pm we headed out again, head lamps on and I had a good small torch as well. Picked up a few more controls fairly easily, given navigating in the night but the scrub was noticeably thicker here and I was leading for quite a while with real tough going in places.

About here the wheels fell off. We were heading down one slope and then across a valley to climb up to another spur. We decided to turn a little earlier and climb up and contour around the slope but hit some pretty steep bits. Losing quite a bit of time we evntually got more level ground and puched on but it seemed had lost map contact. We spent about 45 minutes looking for the control (52) and eventually decided to move on and head back. However as we headed south all we could find were impassable cliff faces which we could not get down. So we ventured around the contour lookking for a way down, and at the same time hitting even denser scrub. Finally we found a way down to the gully below but it was very treacherous and slow going given the conditions.

By the time we got to the valley floor it was around 11:30 it took another 45 minutes to fight our way out through the scrub back to a track so we finally knew where we were again. At that stage we had had enough but were a long hike from the hash house. At least there was a firetrail we could take which eased the navigation aspects. Jointly we decided not to head off road again, Jim was quite fatigued and was also very sore in one knee, which with a bit of bush doctor diagnosis sounded like ITB.

As we progressed along the track each downhill he slowed more and more and so it ws agreed, even the control points within 100m of the road on the way back were now not feasible and the sole goal was to get back to camp. With about 3-4km to go an approaching a "proper" dirt road we agreed it would be best if I went ahead and picked up my car to come back and get the others, so off I went. Out of interest I decided to see how it felt like running, after 14 odd hours of walking and surprisingly it was pretty good. So I mixed up running/jogging downhill/flat and walking uphill. Very sureal with only the moon and my headlamp to keep me company in the middle of nowhere.

Got back to camp, grabbed a can of pepsi and packet of chips which I furiously consumed while drivng back out to pck the others up. Finally got back to the tent we all changed (I put my skins on and downed an Opti) and as we quickly drifted off to sleep it started raining...

Woke up at 7am, feeling remarkable fresh to the sound of consistent rain, that coupled with Jim's ITB issues and my blisters on both heels made an easy decision not to go out again. Instead we wandered over to the hash house for a great cooked breakfast. Caught up with Rob Vincent who it seems had got back abtout 7am and had cleared the course (ie all controls!!!). In cahtting he did mention that the scrub out there was as tough as he has ever seen so that made me feel a little better.

I'm very happy with the way I have pulled up. Of most concern are the blisters on the heel, caused by movement over the orthotics in the shoes over the very uneven ground. Only 2 real tight spots muscule wise, the lower inside hamstrings/tendons which I associate with having to use a much higher leg lift in the bush than normal trail or road running and the lower back and obliques from all of the pushing /twisting etc through the dense scrub.

A little disappointed in our navigation stuff ups but the more I hear from others who were out there it seems a common theme, in what is being described as a difficult course.

For sure I am going to do more of this, probably culminating in the World Championships which will be held in NSW this time next year!

This week, gently does it but I will be at Summer Series orienteering at Meadowbank on Wednesday for sure.

3 comments:

Louise said...

sounds like fun... not. :-)

oh, and I was at Mudgee for the Orienteering last year too! I just looked at the results again. :-p

2P said...

Sounds like great fun Dave, I'm mega-envious. Glad to hear you got out safe and sound - it was pouring on Saturday night in Bathurst and I did think of you guys as I snuggled into my nice warm bed.....

Horrie said...

You've got to start somewhere Dave. You will be better off for the experience the next time you tackle one of these. Hope the recovery goes well.