Monday, November 28, 2005

The last few days...

Thursday - slacked off and did not go out in morning and then got home too late to run as the wife was going out

Friday - Did my stock Lane Cove National Park Weir run, bang on 5 min/km pace for the 11km

Saturday - CR 5km Challenge
A last minute decision to have a run and I lined up with the other 20 minute people. There was a large 21 minute pack and I think there may have not been a full minute between us?

Professor acted as the initial pacing rabbit and we hit 1km in 3:50. From here a few of us crept up and I was happy to let Nando and another (who I now know as Where Did My Shoe Go?) set the pace and I tucked in about 5 metres behind. Second km was also 3:50 and we then started overhauling the 21 minute stragglers. The 3km mark was a little slower with 3:57 and as I rounded the corner started to struggle to stick with the 2 leader. Along here, just before the UTS Rowers I caught up with team Criniti and edged past as we headed to the business end of the run. The 4km marker saw a 3:59 split, I still had the 2 leaders within 20 metres but really started to struggle as a nasty headwind revealed itself to couple with the usual torture of the winding last km.

Caught BennyR through here and Springer also cruised past, with about 500m to go I could hear Team Criniti coming back and I swear Uncle Dave was 5m behind me encouraging Papa Luigi on. I bashed my way to the line and I think Superflake got a photo as I am sure there were a few runners literally breathing down my neck as I hit the line, holding them off .

Last km of 4:01 to give a total of 19:41 and I was about 2 gags away from undigesting my breakfast so there was not much left in the bank. Even though about 25 seconds from my PB I was pretty happy with my run, given the recent running I have (or have not) been doing.

A good cruise back with plu before I had to head off quicker than I would have liked to let the foxtel man in to fix our service.

Well done to those with PB's, in particular FakePlasticTrees and Papa Luigi (who is on fire!). A good benchmark run for myself which also makes me feel quite good about my Wednesday night Summer Series runs so far (ie what can I do when I am running faster again......)

Sunday - Flew down to Geelong on Saturday night for a corporate golf day, was hoping to go for a 20km run but could not be bothered getting up at 5am.

Monday - Massive problems getting back from Melbourne on planes, spent about 3 hours at Melbourne airport and was knackered by the time I got home and into bed so slept in this morning. I do really need to up the motivation.

The plan for the week, a long run Tuesday with Summer Series at Lane Cove West on Wednesday night. Thursday probably a recovery run before I hop on a plane to Singapore. I was hoping to run the Singapore Half Marathon which is on while I am there but entries have closed. I will pack the race gear anyway and show up at registration on the Saturday begging.

3 comments:

2P said...

Nice result at the CR 5k Dave - must organise it so I can get to one of these some day.

Good luck with your begging in Singapore - given recent events, bending rules does not seem to be their strong suit :-)

Katie said...

Hey good run on Saturday! glad you hung on to the breakky :)
I am going to aim for next months challenge...see you there.

Jen said...

Have fun in Singapore. Hope the begging pays off - batter your eyelids a few times, works for me ;-)

J.