Sunday, February 12, 2006

Equaliser Race + more

The Equaliser is the first event in the Striders Super Series and a cross country run from Belrose to St Ives and then looping back again. It consists of a downhill to a creek, up to St Ives, some street running to another trail which heads back downhill and meets up to the outward course for the run home uphill.



A pretty good turnout and we charged along the slight downhill around a power substation and communications tower and then the downhill rush, I settled in near Jenny T and KT as we crossed the creek. The plan for the uphills was a steady pace and I pretty much held my own, with Suzanne and another female going past but that was pretty much it. A quick drink and then along the St Ives streets. There was a good line of runners in front but a few corners later and they had moved form view and it was just myself and another as we hit the next bit of trail.

This was the area I did not get a chance to mark yesterday but I thought from memory the course was fairly obvious. Not so with a few junctions that could have been misleading. However there were branches etc blocking the wrong way and I assumed someone in front was doing this. Pretty soon it was clear who that was as Action loomed up heading back in the other direction. One or 2 junctions later and there was a very obvious group of branches across one option so the guy ahead and I followed the clear option. About 100m later I realised this was wrong and called him back. When we got to the intersection a group had just arrived, including Spud and MikeF. They headed down the "right" option while I moved the branches to stop other runners going the wrong way.

Back into the groove on the downhill and thankfully we eventually saw Silver Fox who was manning the second river crossing point. Once again I aimed for a steady tempo and to my surprise I was hauling in a few of the group who had caught us. About halfway up I had caught spud and went past, a big change from last year. By the time I got to the top there was only 1 guy left with me. Picking up the pace we ran it out back to the road but he was just a little too strong.

Ended up with 1:08:49 which I thought was a good improvement over last year but it seems only a 2 second improvement. However by looking at sportstracks I lost about a minute and a half in my "excursion" so actually an improvement over last year. I certainly felt stronger on the hills. Quite a few people who were in front of me at St Ives followed the wrong marker and drifted in a bit later :(

Stats
Distance 14.27km
Time 1:08:49
Avg Pace 4:49 min/km
Avg HR 174

After the race the Striders Annual General Meeting was conducted, as some Striders would know I was nominated for the role of president as Action was standing down. The news is that I was elected, not sure what I have let myself in for but hope that I can make a positive contribution to the ongoing success of the club. This is the other significant item that has been somewhat of a distraction recently, so now I have both work and my involvement with Striders confirmed I can get on with things.

This week hopefully will be better running wise, however another trip to Melbourne is already planned for work.....

9 comments:

Clairie said...

Congratulations on your new role Dave!! I am sure you will be a great President and take the Striders along for another great year of running.

It is a big task and I applaud you for taking it on. I hope you find it very rewarding.

Horrie said...

Congratulations Dave on the Presidency as well as a great run at The Equaliser. You are certainly in great shape and should win the return bout with the 6 Foot Track.

Tesso said...

So, do we call you Mr President now :-)

Congrats Dave. Sounds like a big year ahead for you.

Spud said...

Hey Mr President, congrats on your election Dave. Nice run at the Equaliser too, payback for last year I guess, I didn't have much left on that last hill. ;-)

Katie said...

A new fearless Leader!!! Congratulations Dave.... thats great and I am sure you will make an excellent president! great running at the equaliser... especially given the stop to move trees around :-)

All hail president Dave :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dave. It's a daunting task to take this on but I'm sure your drive and commitment will ultimately reward you with a very positive experience. Both Danielle and I have very much enjoyed our first year as Striders. It is a great bunch of people, made all the better by the dedication of people such as yourself and Action.

Oh-by the way. Great run Sunday!

Superflake said...

Well done a good run Dave.Besides the little trip to fix up the course the race went well for you. Congratulations on being elected President. I'm sure you will do the job to your usual high standard of results gathering. Cheers.

2P said...

Wow - well done Dave - President of Australia's premier running club wooohoo.

And you beat Spud on a hilly course!?!? Yowser :-)

Don Juan said...

Dave, well done and congratulations on the election. No mean feat volunteering to organise 500+ runners.

I'll have more time after easter to help out at the club.