Thursday, February 02, 2006

Return of Summer!

Summer Series - Blues Point

All of a sudden the heat (and humidity) is back, after some respite. Tonight was based at Blue Point and so I changed and ran down from work for a warm up. A little later than usual as well but it was still quite warm. A well set out map by Larry with some tricky route choice as we ran long the most scenic parts of Sydney Harbour.

Starting at Blues Point, a quick up and down for 30 and then around the bottom of the point for 17 then up and over to pick up 7. Now climbing up Blues Point for 23 & 5 down to 8 and then my big mistake. I did not look close enough at the placement of 14 and opted to leave it and get it on my return route.... So quickly picked up 24,9,18 running around the outside of Luna Park. Under the Harbour Bridge for 25 and then a climb up into Kiribilli for 15,26,27,6,16 and 28. Picking up 29 on the way to the shortcut back across towards Blues Point. Had already decided to bypass 19 and so picked up 10 then towards 14 which I suddenly realised was a long way down and so missed to 20 points :(. Uphill again for 20 then across towards Waverton for 1,11, chossing to get 12 even though time was running out. Detoured for13 on teh way to 2 then downnnn to 22 and along to 3. Reminicising on the way through this park as this is where we got married! Already a few minutes late so I chose to collect 4 despite the uphill slog and then downhill to the finish.



Stats : 9.8km
Time : 52:50
Avg Pace : 5:22
Avg HR : 172

Ended up with 450 points after lateness which really should have been 470 with 14. Andrew Hill posted 560 so it was a tough run. I think seagull pipped me by 10 points and so gains on my lead in the pointscore.

The legs felt ok after warming up, left hammie/glute is still a little tight though.

Thursday

Headed down to the weir, when I stopped at the turnaround for a drink I was sweating profusely and decided to head straight home rather than tack on a few extra km. By the time I got back I was soaked and took a good while of stretching and a shower before I stopped sweating, very humid morning. 11km in just over 54 minutes.

A gentle recovery run tomorrow and then Striders 10km on Saturday morning.

4 comments:

2P said...

I used to hate cleaning the pool (could never see the point of having one) - but days like today make me sooooo glad we've got it :-)

Cause that's where I spent the first 20 mins after my run this morning!

Katie said...

How HOT was it this morning!! I spent an hour and a half watering Centenial park haha See you Saturday

Anonymous said...

Was it tough running in the heat!

Chose a very similar course - differences were 17,30 on the way home, 14 on the way out, skipped 11 (!?) - otherwise the same course. Same points, but was back a minute earlier.

Looks very tight in the scores! It certainly adds some interest for me. To borrow an (overused) metaphore from porkie, I hope I can keep gaining on you down the straight, but there do seem to be some other racers flying down the outside rail.

Spark Driver said...

Between your blog and the article in the current Run for your Life I have become very interested in orienteering. Looking at contacting a local club at the moment.