Saturday, April 14, 2007

Where's Dave (Wally)

As forecast a frantic week since my long run on Sunday. I have mostly seen the interior of either hotel rooms or aircraft cabins, but have had some success in trying to keep running!

A brief sojourn back to Seoul but I had a little free time and so headed to the hotel gym for some treadmill therapy. The gym is a room in the middle of the hotel, no windows to the outside and as I found out quickly not a lot of ventilation or air conditioning. After determining the set up of the treadmill and the fact that they were reading in km and not miles I set the dial for 4 min/km with the aim to replicate my LCNP session with 2 min standing rest. After about my third rep the little Korean gym attendant came and had a look and immediately dashed away to get extra towels as the sweat was certainly starting to flow.

Ended up with 7 reps, but was pretty taxed at the end. Then went out with one of our business partners and proceeded to drink my body weight in beer and whisky (again), bloody hell these Koreans drink! This of course left me in no state to do my planned session the following morning....

More long flights and now I am in Los Angeles on my way to New Orleans. Desperate to stretch the legs after the long flights I headed out with the goal of hitting the Pacific on the Eastern edge. As you will see from the image below I got close but the whole area between the airport and sea is blocked off for obvious security reasons. A good stretch out with 16.7km done in 1:22 for avg pace of 4:56.



Am desperately not happy about missing Canberra and catching up with people and teh malaise of time zone changes, flying and meetings has meant not a lot of chance to wish all those running the best, so now I have at least done it, even though no one will probably read this until after their race.

No comments: