A couple of days in Melbourne for work provided an opportunity to sit back and reflect over the last couple of months and think about what I want to do going forwards. I've already identified that if I don't have a goal and an associated program I tend to wander and drift away from regular training (which is not necessarily a bad thing).
Before I get too much into that I have to say that I am amazed with the level of recovery I have had after Sunday. Not sure if it was the extra base, the sportskins, the opti or a combination of all three but the body feels so much better than the previous post marathon experiences. Very interesting..... maybe I just did not run hard enough on Sunday?
Knowing that the major goal early next year will be preparing and racing The Six Foot Track I am inclined to try and vary my schedule for a few months to freshen the body and mind before a very serious tilt at Six Foot which will require and intense running training effort over 4 months.
To this end I'm going to do a few different things for a while:
- step back (just a little) from full on running training and also racing most weekends
- embark on a cross training regime, still running (say 50-60km/week) but adding swimming and riding, as well as trying to reintroduce pilates and some core strength work
So a few things that I will be doing to try and keep some focus but freshen at the same time
- a triathlon or 2, have been planning and thinking about Nepean (sprint) and then the Canberra Half Iron Man for a while so time to step up to the plate publicly
- get back into the orienteering, which I really enjoy with the Summer Series looming
- and with an eye on testing the body and spirit for maybe attempting an ultra next year I'll be looking to enter the NSW 24 hour Rogaine Championships.
Should be fun! I'll probably also renovate the blog a bit to concide with the new regime. Fear not, I'm not going to the dark side, there'll still be heaps of running here and that is the main game, I'm actually still going to try and break 40 for 10km and 90 for the half by the end of the year as well :)
2 comments:
A great retrospective post - and a great new beginning Dave!
Love the plans for the swimming and cycling - Plu & I don't want to be the only ones on the dark side over here! Hope to see you at Nepean & Canberra (but hopefully at Striders before then)
Will come and cheer if you do the Canberra half IM!! Triathlons are great for cross training, and vey addictive!!!
Post a Comment