Monday, February 20, 2006

Still struggling.....

Firstly thanks to all for the thoughts on el presidente! I hope I can live up to the expectations....

Back to the running (or lack thereof).

After the Equaliser I did again head down to Melbourne and another busy schedule conspired against any interstate running. Back to Sydney in time to run Summer Series at Gladesville. Quite a deal of careful plotting of different route options I headed out westward bound and then seeing how much time was in the bank for route options coming home from the east. Everything went to plan until the 40 minute mark where in a brain fade I ran pretty much straight past a 30 pointer, then spent a minute fumbling at a control on a path near a wharf and then stumbled on the waterfront at the final control :(. So going from a score of 560 to 510 in the blink of a few eyes grrrrr.



More work stuff, including a visit to chunderboltville (hey Ben!) to welcome our newest Strider saw no running in the rest of the week. No idea why but motivation to get out of bed and run early at an all time low and actually feeling quite fatigued through the day as well.

Sunday rolls around and I had pumped myself up enough to have a last long hilly hitout and what better place than Quarry Rd. Got to Stewart Ave at 6am and there were a few others there just heading out. I sorted myself out and started downhill. Only a few 100m and I saw a fugure emerge from the mist (radio said it was 98% humidity!) and it was none other than Spud! He had started at the Dural end and so I ran back up the hill with him and we headed off.

Felt really good for the first lap and we ran 36 minute out and back splits for a 1:12 lap. Second outward felt ok, but my lh hammie was starting to complain, we caught up to another runner who we had seen a few times. At the turn around I tried some stretches to loosen up the lower back. Comng back as soon as we hit the downhill it became obvious I was going to be limited by this niggle so I eased up a little and let the others go ahead. By the time I got back to the Stewart Ave end I was obviosuly running with a altered gait favouring the LH hammie and so the RH hip flexors were starting to complain.

I decided enough was enough and pulled the pin, 2 laps, 1:12 and 1:16 for 2:28 all up. Pulled up a bit tight so some sretching to do this week as I head into a taper from a taper......

Back in Melbourne again today but hope to head out tomorrow morning for a loosener!

3 comments:

2P said...

What I wouldn't give for splits like that on Quarry Rd.... a bit of rest to let the injuries heal and you are going to fly at 6'.

Prediction: Six Foot 1 - Dave 1 :-)

Spud said...

98% Humidity! no wonder we felt like drowned rats out there.
Dave you were flying for the first lap and a half, I figured that niggle was gonna slow you down when you tried cracking your back at Quarry Rd. Still some great signs for 6FT, a good taper and sub 5 is your's mate.

BTW, I remembered your cap and bottle, catch you at the 10km.

Bennyr said...

I hope to see you far more often in your athletic capacity in the future, Mr President.

I sincerely hope you can maintain the motivation and make the time for the important stuff (training & otherwise) in amongst your many commitments. Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Ben