Sunday, June 11, 2006

Homebush Hustle

Woke up at 5am to the sound of torrential rain. After vascilating for 5 minutes got up and prepped to go. Amazingly the rain pretty much cleared as we headed off. Straight away the ITB started complaining but I ignored it hoping that after a km or 2 I would be warmed up. As usual the 6:10 group was a little too agressive on pace but I hung back with Blue Dog for a chat before chasing them down as we entered Olympic Park. By then everything was warmed up and I felt pretty good. Tried to calm down the speedsters which worked for a little while but as we ran towards Parramatta River we were still cracking along. Now I dropped back with Gnome who was finding the pace a little hot. We ran together for a while and I managed to make a small navigation error which put us a little bit further back. I left Gnome when we caught one of the 6am groups and again set off after the 6:10 bunch, just catching them as we got to Silverwater prison and the water stop.

Over the other side of the river and along the bike path and I felt pretty good and moved to the front. Some of the runners who were hammering along earlier were just starting to struggle a little and so I upped the ante :) Through the back of the Ermington industrial area with a few ups and downs we really got going as langswd and I pushed things along. In keeping with my immediate plans for Sunday I took the shortcut that would give me 25km as everyone else went long. Ran it out hard home and I think the distance was just right as I just started to feel the pinch in the last km or so.

Stats
Distance 26.4km
Time 2:06:54
Avg pace 4:48
Avg HR 165 (quite pleasing)

Looking back through the log I ran the same option as my last longish hit out before Canberra 2005 and ran 2:04 so am happy with todays run.

Aiming to get a little more consistent this week and work on loosening up the ITB while still watching the achilles which is fine after 2 hard days running :)

3 comments:

Tesso said...

Dave, do you find the ITB hurts less the faster you run?

Horrie said...

Dave, you have shown some good form in that run. Hope you continue to win the battles with your niggles. However, running 4:48 per km, shouldn't you be running at 6.20? What's the point of having a STaR pace guide if people don't want to stick to it?

Katie said...

Hey Dave... good to see you :-)I think training for Sydney will be tougher than for Canberra with the cold, dark and wet mornings :-)

take care of the ITB- get on the rolling pin to loosen it up.

See you at Nowra.