Thursday, September 28, 2006

Speed racer!!!

After following some of the Easy Tiger remedial and preventative suggestions for the sore shin I also opted to give it a days rest to really try and reduce the inflammation.

Back on the road this morning and down to Ewen's fav spot :) aka Lane Cove National Park! Some more intense effort on the cards with the benchmark 1km reps between the 8 and 7km Striders 10km markers.

The RH lower leg felt a little "funny" during the warm up run but not in any way inhibiting.

So to the reps....
3:49 Up
3:42 Down (smokin!)
3:48 Up
3:47 Down (starting to fade)
3:52 Up
3:50 Down

The tale of the stopwatch has this as an average of 3:48 which is just under 6 seconds faster than my last session 3 weeks ago, holy crap 6 seconds!!!! (that is 34 seconds faster over the 6km total) Also stuck with the shorter recovery time of 90 seconds.

To say I am chuffed with this is an understatement, looks like recovery from the marathon has been good and the recent focus is starting to pay off. As I arrived home I was half expecting a WADA van out the front door :)

Shin status - the bone certainly is a lot less tender but the muscle actually seems a little numb. Maybe a bit too much ice etc the other night??

11 comments:

Spud said...

Nice session Dave, can I borrow some of your speed? ;-)

Jen said...

Awesome session Dave. Well done. Can I borrow some of your speed once I'm running again?

Anonymous said...

post up your diet. whatever your eating I need some. My six beers and two hamburgers a day might be whats slowing me down. I cant possibly see how though? :)

Superflake said...

After this speed session I'm expecting a readjustment of your 10k PB at Homebush. Good to keep the same speed going and hope it stays for next week.

Anonymous said...

Those stats are screaming sub 40....

miners said...

good to see the speed work paying dividends mate. You might just have to publiscise some of these goals after all ;)

26miles said...

Dave,
those rep times are nice and consistent. My experience with 1k reps is that your average pace (3.48) is approximately your current 5k pace assuming you have the aerobic training behind you. To successfully break 40 mins for 10k you need to combine this speedwork with a tempo run at least once a week - say 14k in an hour(4.15 pace) plus plenty of long steady runs about 15-25 secs slower again (but no more). When you can comfortably and I mean easily do 14k in an hour then you will break 40 mins for 10k. These are just some of my bench marks that work for me.

Anonymous said...

Holy Stopwatch Batman - you're seriously putting the pressure on now Dave, and you've timed it perfectly with me crook with your lurgy! Good Luck next week, we'd love on see you repeat the Langsw'sss performance last month..

(And I've taken notes of 26 miles advice too - games not over yet!

Prof

Ewen said...

Those are good numbers Dave. Sit on 3:55-3:58s from the start and you'll do it.

Don't keep reminding me about the park! Call it Lady Game Drive or something. I miss it.

Jen said...

Mmmmm, Diver Dan eh? A girl can only hope ;-)

Thanks for your comment but I suspect the 20 component of the 10/20 might be a problem ;-)

2P said...

Fantastic result Dave - very nice indeed.