Another tempo session this morning (just to mix things up!) but the weather was certainly different with seemingly high humidity and drizzling rain greeting me as I walked out the front door. I decided to experiment with the course feature on the Garmin. This is where you can download an actual run back to the watch and then compete against your previous run. In theory this is good as it actually adjusts your relative position against the actual terrain/distance so if you run the same route you will always slow down at the same hill.
In practice however there was enough variance between the GPS readings through Lane Cove park for it to go a little out. So the unit claimed I beat my run from last Friday (using time over distance), however, it also measured shorter than last week and so I actually ended up a bit slower.
Certainly tougher going today with a bit of Sunday's effort still in the legs and I also did not feel as smooth while I was running. The lower legs are a bit chopped up now but anyway still a good session.
Stats
Distance 14.24
Time 1:06:55
Avgt Pace 4:41
Avg HR 162
Thanks for the comments re Sunday's run however it seems I am painting a bleak picture for those thinking about running a STaR. It is not all crawling under barbed wire with machine guns firing over your head! Ellie, there is a much more comfortable group that heads out earlier and we always include shortcut options on the course maps. Certainly though Cherrybrook does rank up there as one of the harder runs that Striders do, mainly due to the consistent ups and downs, out of interest according to the garmin we climbed approx 330 metres over the course on Sunday.
3 comments:
Great to catch up Dave, it seems like ages since I last ran a STaR. I must admit running the STaRs, I get pulled along quicker than I would if I ran alone,certainly great training. It would be interesting to see what the total ascent on a H5 course would be?
Great pace Dave! I wonder what the next big thing is? Are you coming to Melbourne this weekend?
"It is not all crawling under barbed wire with machine guns firing over your head! Ellie" lol Dave you will say anything to get a new "recruit" ;-)
Post a Comment