Thursday, October 26, 2006

Triple treat!

So after the hill session on Tuesday a recovery run around the oval Wednesday morning. Some work related delays saw me arrive at the Summer Series venue quite late and it was literally pay your money and start so no detailed course planning etc.

From the look of the map (once running) the lot did seem gettable but main concern was darkness rapidly descending. Accordingly I opted to drop the 2 outermost controls (near Timbrell) even though I was probably able to pick them up within 2-3 minutes. A couple of little oops' as I hurried along but was keeping a good pace and seemingly had some time up my sleeve. Thankfully I did as the last 10 minutes of running were pretty much dark and I spent a bit of time at a couple of controls that would have been very visible in daylight but more of a challenge in lower light levels.

Finally screamed back down the hill to the start with 570 points but my time up the sleeve had evaporated due to the light and I ended up being late by 15 seconds so ended up with 560 points. Alas the faster young guys were there tonight and Andrew Hill did collect the lot in just over 40 minutes which will drag down my actual points earned a little more :(

Stats
Distance 9.3km
Time 45:15
Avg Pace 4:52
Avg HR 169

Thursday morning
The legs felt a bit beat up but I headed down to the weir to see how fast I could knock out the 11km anyway. Once I was moving along it was not too bad but still a tad slowish. Saw Spud out on his bike again and caught up with him where he had parked near the caravan park on the way home where we had a bit of a chat re GNW strategy etc.

Stats
Distance 10.9 km
Time 51:26
Avg Pace 4:44
Avg HR 157

So thus ends three hard days in a row with the tempoish run today certainly a challenge on legs that I thrashed less than 12 hours earlier! A nice recovery run tomorrow and then a longer slower effort on Saturday with a recon run/walk over a good section of the GNW course that I will be probably covering in the afternoon/night during the actual race itself.

3 comments:

miners said...

mate - nice efforts over the 3 runs. That's the way to build that endurance stuff. Flog yourself within an inch of your (quads') life

2P said...

ALways good to score a hatrick Dave - nice work.

Ewen said...

GNW is looking good Dave. A pretty solid half there - esp considering your organising duties.

Thanks for mentioning the ranger's hut - my favourite corner in the park.