Sunday, April 08, 2007

Wet Weekend Wanderings

Saturday - up at sparrows to head into The Domain to set up for the 10km. As per previous post I was unsure whether I'd run the 10km, West Met or both but after setting up and giving Bernie G, Kit and Razor a briefing on the timing system and associated programs I did a quick warmup and headed down to the start line.

This course is trying, jammed pack running for the first 2km, uphill no less and dodging puddles then a downill back to the point of Lady Macquaries chair before doing it again another 2 times!

I felt a little tight all over but just kept on trying to stay smooth and economical, also missed a few km markers. The last km is a bit of a lung buster with a downhill kick to get the legs cycling over and then about 400m to try and hold (or increase) that pace.

Actually quite happy with the end result posting 43:30 a 47 second improvement over Homebush with not a lot done in between.

After I finished teh slight drizzle that had been threatening evolved into a torrential downpour so no chance to catch up an talk with anyone as they were already all up at presentations and then naturally scarpered while I sorted out packing up the timing gear.

Sunday - Given the STaR today was a DIY rocket around the bay area I opted for something a little different that I had been planning to do for a while. There was a family do at my mother-in-law's place at Hornsby and so I decided to run up the GNW to Hornsby to get some time on the legs over trails and also to give the new camelbak another trial.

Got up to Browns Waterhole in about an hour and then it was into unknown territory as I followed the GNW up to Thornleigh. There was considerable groundwater on the trail and also some good stream crossings. The run down the other side of Thornleigh was really nice and then the trail turned a little more technical as it followed Berowra Creek (?) up to the back of Hornsby. Just as I finally popped out of the bush it started raining (again) and I got soaked as I climbed up quite a steep section on Pretoria Parade to Hornsby.

Stats - 26.75km in 3:17:00 which included 500m of climb for a net climb of about 150m. The legs while tired were not smashed and this is exactly what I was looking for.

Last week - Pretty pleased with the start of April with 71km under the belt and a couple of good runs. The next 2 weeks will be challenging to say the least to try and keep things going under what I know will be difficult conditions with a long work trip.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like a fantastic long run Dave. Much better than the boring old Bay. Which camelbak are you using now?

Ewen said...

43:30 sounds good to me Dave. By the way, how come the km markers were all over the shop? That's not like the Striders ;)