Monday, October 25, 2004

Starting off and already I've changed the schedule!

Yes, one day into the program and I've varied from the "core" plan.

With good and planned reason however!

Sunday saw another one of my existing commitments finalised as I had agreed (in a moment of weakness 9 months ago) to do the course setting for a Come and try it (CATI) orienteering event based in Gladesville/Putney. Truth be know while it was a good experience it actually happened at a bad time in terms of work and family activities. Anyway, up at sparrow's to put out 40 control points in the very wet bush areas on Sydney Harbour/Parramatta River. Quite a deal of driving, stop, dash off with 2-3 controls, place them in the right spot, dash back to the car and onto the next point. At the end of the day everything had to be done in reverse. Finished just after lunch and most people seemed pretty happy with the way I set out the courses but I did not feel like going for a run (it had also started raining again) on Sunday afternoon.

So had good intentions to get up and do intervals this morning but had a horror night with the kids not sleeping, which means we didn't either. So packed the bag to go and pound out the reps at lunch at the gym.

First set of intervals since the calf injury where I was doing 6 1km reps at 3:50 with half the time (1:55) standing rest. Lunch at Fitness First in North Sydney is pretty packed but I sorted out a treadmill as far away as possible from the crowd. Started out with a 1km warmup at 6min/k before hopping off and adjusting the shoes, mindful of my recent blistering problem. It seemed very warm in there, and I'd only just warmed up!

Knocked out the first four with no problems, however the recovery HR was starting to creep up and I was now sweating like a pig. Rep five just started to get tough with about 200 metres to go and the HR did not drop as much as I would have liked before time to go on rep six. At around 500 metres I realised I had started drifting towards the back of the belt and at just after 600 m hit the stop button as I was really struggling. Had a couple of minutes to suck in the O2 and then did a warm down of 500m.

Overall, given it is close to 2 months since the last session like this and I was still pretty close to what I was doing then so not too shabby! Finished up in the weights area doing a little extra abs, lower back and calf remedial work trying to cool down before showering and heading back to the office.

10km recovery run tomorrow morning.

No comments: