Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Backtrack to Last week

Ok folks a bit of catch up to do...

Last Tuesday I was planning to run (despite my physio) but not sure when/how.

Was a little bit unsure to select between the MTG round the bay with hill reps vs Summer Series at Callan Park (coincidently also near/on the bay). In the end the Summer Series got the nod.

Now I remember this map from last year and quite a bit of good planning was required as they ran us around all sorts of buildings . Could still certainly feel my "injury" and so opted for not a lot of warm up but a little appropriate stretching and a conservative start. Looking at the map it seemed that collecting the lot may be achievable, even at a slower pace!

Here is a scan of the map for those interested.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmbray/callan%20park.jpg

Off up the hill near the start to number 18 first. First mistake shortly after that where I ran back down the road rather than going cross country (the dotted line) to get to 8. Pretty much run, write, run, write for a while until 23 where I went down the wrong side of the outcrop and then had to climb up and go down on the right side. The hip/groin was still tight but not really limiting my running. More steady going until 12-14 which was up a fairly step bush track and that seemed to stimulate the pain somewhat. Then some more fairly open running all the way to 28. Timing was looking good and so decided on heading to 29. As I got near Lilyfield Rd made my second mistake. Saw the MTG doing hill reps and for some reason ran all the way down the hill rather than my planned shorter course (again a dotted line).

Time was now getting tight but I still had enough up my sleeve to at least pick up 19 and then also decided to push on to 10. Now was the time to really stretch out on the way back through 9 but still could not run at full pace and just made it back under 1 minute late. So picked up all but 20&30 which gives 450 - 10 for being 1 minute late ending up with 440.

A number of people scored the full 600 with one runner doing it in 36 minutes! I'm sure that I would have picked up my first 600 points and back in time if I hadn't made my 2 mistakes but more importantly if I wasn't limited in my pace, anyway they're the breaks.

Back home and immediate ice treatment as I had started to stiffen up while cooling down,

No comments: