In hindsight I should have gone short but opted for the half. A heap of Cool Runners and Striders there and went out at about 4:20 min/km pace which seemed ok. Got to the first turnaround fine, slowing a little but when we hit the return hill it was a real struggle to maintain my pace. Down the other side and could not stretch out and I noticed other areas of the body were not happy (probably adjusted my stance subconsciously to compensate). Anyway the good thing is the next turnaround was near the finish and so I opted out at the 10km mark, with a 44:30 10km. This is actually my first DNF in this running life, but when I had cooled down the LHS ITB and achilles were also sore so probably a good thing that I stopped. Very depressing, especially since everyone else seemed to be smashing PB's :( and now a number of guys have gone straight past me timewise.
Now very sore across abdomen and have booked for ultra sound (unbelievable 2 weeks wait to see the "specialist"!) so a week of stretching/core stability work and NO running. That also trashes my hopes of doing a exploratory 6 foot run next Sunday. The goal is to now really sort this injury out so I can eventually commence my Canberra training program, Six foot is now looking more and more like a social run for me at nowhere near race pace. So until further notice the following sign applies to my ability to do any running.
3 comments:
hang in there dave. injuries are no fun, but listen to your body and give it the r&r that it's asking for. you'll come back stronger!
Rest up Dave and get yourself fixed proper mate.
Hope all goes well for you, it must be so frustrating.
See you out there again soonish ;-)
Thanks for the thoughts guys!
Feeling a lot better but am resisting the temptation to go for a run to ensure complete rest/recovery.
Post a Comment