A slightly longer run today, replicating the course I took last Friday but with the intent of headed towards a faster pace, much like what 26miles recommended in his comment.
As I was winding my way back through the park near Lady Game Drive (for Ewens benefit) another Friday CoolRunner spoting with Barney and Highwayman cruising in the other direction. The traffic lights in the back part of this run were not kind today but at one point that was good as I developed a hot spot where it seems the sock had folded over or the inserts were pinching the sole of my foot.
Stats
Distance : 14.2km
Time : 1:05:34 (last week 1:09)
Avg pace : 4:36 (lw 4:48)
Avg HR : 167 (lw 162)
So certainly a harder workout. To be honest if you compare this to 26miles' advice I am heading there. The route I take is a tough course, lots of ups and downs, twists and turns, certainly not a bay run style course. So taking into account a level of difficulty on my run I am maybe not too far away. Might have to cruise down to the bay soon and see how I go over 2 laps.......
Now to the comments, must be a few lurkers out there given the absolute rash of sudden talk about sub 40!!! I am surprised seagull has not swooped to join the action. Of course I would expect Professor to already start building up the excuse bank, I reckon by next Friday he'll be in intensive care awaiting a heart/lung transplant ;)
As most readers and lurkers would know sub 40 has been my mythical windmill that I have tilted at for a while now and next Saturday will be no different, however I will not be heartbroken if I don't get there yet. It is a goal, but only one of a number and there are bigger fish to fry!!!
3 comments:
Not far off indeed Dave ;-)
Plan a longer term strategy and be prepared to only take off 10-15 secs per month at each race. Make only a few races a year 'goal races' and everything else train hard up to and thru the race. Nick and I like to do a tempo run where we w/u for 20 mins then run a hard 5-6k at 10k race pace then 20 min c/d. Gets you conditioned to running at race pace as Ewen alluded to but without the strain of actually racing.
hey - pretty nifty time for a training run too mate (tempo or not). I'll be banging the drum for your sub-40 Dave :)
Post a Comment