First the rest of the week. Wednesday saw the first event in Summer Series and I did a warmup run down to Lavender Bay where the start was. Great to see all the familiar faces, not so great to see the map, no matter what way I looked at it there was going to be some short sharp hills!
Have not seen the results yet, I posted 420 but messed up around control 30 losing a couple of minutes.
Work then went feral and so I did a mini taper with Thursday and Friday off!
The Race
An early start to cruise over to Langswm's place and then pick up Fats and Amjan for the drive down the M5. Got there with plenty of time to register and sort out all the kit etc. Not a lot of an idea as to the course, just knowing it was pretty much all fire trail with some hills and also the very important extra factor, it was bloody hot!
The first few km were all pretty much downhill (not a good sign on an out and back!) I tucked in just behind Blue Dog for a while. Just after the 4km marker, my first and only snake spotting with a red bellied black scuttling off away from the road as Blue Dog went past him (Bluey did not even see it!)
The 5km split looked a little fast so I eased back a little and then the same for 10km. At the 20km mark the mercury was really rising and I spent a minute or 2 at the aid station loading up on water and tipping a few cups over the head. At the 25km station a similar story also popping a gu and grabbing a few jelly beans.
From here it was an out and back section so you get a chance to see how everyone is going. This had a nasty little climb in it as well! Back to the 25km station which is now the 30km station for more hydration.
The next section was the hardest, seemingly contstantly climbing, it reminded me quite a bit of Black Range Rd at 6 foot. Looking at the GPS track it is certainly the case. I was certainly quite toasty now, incorporating walk/run on the steeper sections and suffered on the last steep section quite badly.
Finally to the finish and the CR cheer squad as vocal as usual!
Stats
Distance 42.195
Time 4:11:15
Avg Pace 5:57
Avg HR 163
Total climb 540 metres
A great race on a tough course made tougher by the temperature on the day, anyway that's my 3rd marathon this year from 4 starts with 1 dnf @ 6 foot.
Weekly stats
Total distance 78.5km
Still consistent, although a marathon always helps top up the distance! Back to some speed work this coming week and next Sunday the Striders Handicap Half Marathon. A decision looming shortly on my next major endeavour as well.......
3 comments:
Good to see you out there today. It was hot work cheering; I can't imagine how hot it was out there today.
Can't wait to hear about your next endeavour!
Sounds like a tough day at the office mate. Great effort ! :)
That's a pretty impressive yearly marathon record in anyone's books mate. Congratulations on the tough run.
Post a Comment