Sunday, October 08, 2006

Homebush and beyond!

Despite all the prophecies the much awaited sub 40 did not eventuate. In my usual manner I certainly would not die wondering heading out right on pace, but by around 4km the legs felt very heavy and then indeed I did feel like I was dieing on the second lap. The legs felt like I was running through treacle but the HR was right up there. Seems I probably went lactic as I lapped Wentworth Common the first time trying to stay on pace.

Any way while I was always going to have a crack I knew that my prep would not help and as previously stated sub 40 this week is not a "target". After reviewing the results it seems quite a few people also struggled against what I would suggest normal form/times so well done to anyone who PB'd (especially Belinda!)

This ended the week which totalled 80km (avg pace 5:04, including recovery runs). So am building up quite nicely.

Saturday afternoon and Sunday were spent catching up with my cycling buddies from the past down in the Southern Highlands as part of a christening. We only get to catch up once a year or so but always great fun, especially going through all teh old cycling war stories and funny happenings on the many road trips we went on. This meant no running on Sunday, but I'll top that up tomorrow morning.

So no wrist slashing here folks about Saturday, I gave it a go but the situation was not right, I am encouraged by my training times and will keep the focus going, next step Fitzroy Falls next weekend.

8 comments:

Don Juan said...

There's some good mileage and 400 rep times in there. Setting up a sub-40 Lane Cove 10km as a finale.

2P said...

Good for you Dave - it's only a matter of time - around 39.59 minutes of time.....

Jen said...

The planets will align for you soon Dave. In the meantime, there is Fitzroy Falls ;-)

Horrie said...

You weren't the only one who died out there in the latter stages yesterday. I was absolutely working my butt off to run 4:20s in the second half and I didn't go out too hard. It was just a very tough day at the office. I have no doubt if you are consistent with your training and maintain the current structure that the sub 40 will come one day. Just keep the faith and working hard.

Horrie said...

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is very motivating when runners I respect take the time to compliment me on my running.

Belinda

Superflake said...

Don't worry Dave. While sitting at work on Saturday morning at 7:30am it was 18 degrees and 76% humidity. So pretty much no good for a PB attempt with air that heavy. Good luck at Fitzroy Falls.

Spud said...

Not the result you might of hoped for Dave, but great to see you remaining positive for what looks like some great progress. It's only a matter of time before you crack that 40 min barrier.
Plenty of "other" goals to concentrate on anyhow ;-)

Tesso said...

Great to catch up again Dave.

Pity about the crappy race. At least you had a go at it. It will make that sub 40 so much sweeter when you do nail it.