Sunday, December 11, 2005

Rocks Push STaR - Long

My first STaR for a while due to a variety of circumstances. This STaR is actually the first run I ever did with the Striders and also probably not far from 3 years ago as well. However I have not run this since (only did the 7am group back then).

A good sized 6:10 group which included CR's Action, Luke Skyrunner, Langswm (and Mrs Langswm), Mike F. The pace was actually quite reasonable, either because Action was with us or maybe the holiday season. Immediately the Garmin had major problems as we ran through the city canyons. Lots of fun as various groups of straggling revellers from partying the night before gave us encouragement. Looped through Darling Harbour where another group of substance influenced individuals were waiting, one trying to run with us for a little while, but his baggy trousers kept on falling down!

The weather was cooler, but still humid with some occasional drizzle. Still a nice steady pace according to the now happier Garmin as we weaved through Pyrmont and Ultimo to Central. More signal problems as we passed through the city on the way to Darlinghurst and Kings Cross. Some nasty sets of stairs here as well.

By the time we got to Rushcutters Bay to start looping back the pace had started to pick up a little. Another climb (and more stairs) back up to Elizabeth Bay and down to Wollomolloo on the way to Lady Macquaries Chair. Through here the 6:20 group caught us and we merged together after a drink stop for the dash around the Opera House and back to the Harbour Bridge. I was struggling a little with the pace here but then realised it was because we were running at 4:30 min/km all of a sudden.

Thankfully the group splintered as most shortcutted back to Observatory Hill while the remainder continued across the bridge to Neutral Bay. By now I was running by myself but still moving nicely. Caught up to Johnny Dark and Professor at Kurraba Point but then had to chase them down again as I stopped for a gu and water. Back through Kiribilli and over the Narbour Bridge to the finish.

Can't say this would be my favorite STaR, too many stairs and running in city streets, but certainly very scenic with all the prominent landmarks featured.

Given the signal problems for the Garmin I gave up looking at splits/pace etc and was quite surprised when I downloaded to Sportstracks that it managed to track my route pretty well despite all the signal problems. Even more surprising was the stats for the run

Distance - 31.6km
Time - 2:41:09
Avg pace - 5:06 min/km
Avg HR - 159

Given we did run for a while at 5:30 pace, the faster back half made a big difference. That is actually my goal for these longer runs, to run a steady pace but pick it up towards the end to try and simulate running at pace on tired legs.

Although they were getting noticeably tired the legs have pulled up pretty well, slight tenderness at the bottom of my right shin where the tendon runs across the ankle then the top of the foot, maybe the shoelace was done up a little tight.

Crazy week coming up with heavy work commitments as well as some of the usual christmas season catching up with clients and business parters at various do's. Will be a challenge to keep on track but we'll see!

4 comments:

2P said...

Hmm will have to give Sportstrack a go....

People from overseas pay $1000's to get the views you did today Dave, all you had to do was brave near nekid substance abusers and run 31.6k ;-)

Clairie said...

Well done Dave. I absolutely love the challenge of doing a long run and pushing home at the end. It is so very rewarding when you finish and have done a negative split or have otherwise finished the last few km with good speed and form.

Sounds like a great run despite not being familiar with all the landmarks.

So what's the next big goal you are aiming for?

Katie said...

Hey Dave....
We came across the same guy in Darling Harbour...also dropping his dacks. Great pace! This was also not my fav star... but interesting definately!

miners said...

I just love hearing about the city runs Dave - this poor old country boy still gets starstruck running through the big smoke.

Glad you like the haircut mate - you know exactly who I modelled it after I hope! And thanks heaps for the encouragement as I made my way to Canberra - I really appreciated the comments on the bolg and over at CR. Cheers mate