Thursday, December 22, 2005

Summer Series @ Balmoral + more

Wednesday night and another Summer Series run, this time around the slopes of Balmoral and Chinamans Beach. This has gained some reputation as a tough run, with runners trying to minimise the up/downs, while maximising points. Another well planned map with a tantalising cluster of 90 points at the northernmost edge at Chinamans Beach, but some tricky control placement and route options enroute and then some points to chase at the other end of the map if time permitted.

I opted to run in a counter clockwise direction, giving me various shortcut options if required on the way home. Pretty smooth sailing early on, a slight stumble at 14 in the bush with some lung busters after that climbing up the slopes. My route as per Garmin and Google Earth is here. Time started running low at around 23 and I opted to avoid the drop/climb associated with 4 to 5 and so contoured around to 5. A major snafu then in somehow managing to miss 19 on the way to 22, then downhill towards the finish. I decided to shortcut through the bush, hoping I might spike 2 but missed it and finished 4 minutes late.

Stats
Distance : 8.3km
Time : 48:35
Points : 500 - 40 = 460
Avg pace : 5:50 min/km
Avg HR : 163

Somewhat disappointing, losing in hindsight focus at some key points. Seagull had a blinder with 540 but the real guns ended up with 590!!! Time to mentally refocus on Summer Series, the last couple of runs have come unhinged a little.

A pretty warm night, with bushfires a little further north at Allambie, had a quick post run swim in the hearbour which was great!

Thursday
Opted for a medium/long run today. Started off feeling a bit sluggish and beat up. Eventually warmed up a little, but it was obvious I was still dehydrated from last nights run and so included a few more pitstops to try and top up the fluids. Struggled home in the end, but a good run to have under the belt, trying to keep the normal pace on tired legs/body. Spent the rest of the day rehydrating, having lost 2.5kg in 2 days. Also a noticeable absence of runners/walkers in Lane Cove NP today, just some of the usual cyclists.

Stats
Distance : 14.5km
Time : 1:12:49
Avg Pace : 5:02 min/km
Avg HR : 158

A recovery run tomorrow and then some very hilly trail running on Saturday at some distance, given no time/ability to run on Christmas Day....

2 comments:

2P said...

I love reading about these summer series runs Dave.

I also love "some very hilly trail running on Saturday" CU there ;-)

Anonymous said...

So I am not a real gun, huh!?

Actually, I think it was my event this year where everything came together. I doubt I'll have as good a result again. When I did the post mortem, I realised I actually only hesitated on two controls (11,15). So the home ground really did help and as much as luck matters it went my way.

I'm sure that the natural order of things will return at Dee Why, but I'll be trying my damdest, so I'm looking forward to trying to stay close to you under the scary prospect of a 'refocus'.