Saturday, May 13, 2006

New PB!

Down to Meadowbank this afternoon for my first West Met Cross Country race. A pretty low key event with the 2km and 4km events finishing while I arrived and a decent group formed up for the 8km race which consisted of 2 extended laps around Meadowbank, including a nasty pinch at around 3km.

With the smaller group (compared to a Striders race) it was very soon open running and I settled in behind Graham and Geoff Sheargold with seagull also lurking nearby. First km was 3:50 and the Sheargolds and I edged away from seagull, posting another 3:50 for km 2. We continued but the hill took a little out of me as the Sheargold team slowly pulled away as we headed back to the start, posting a 15:36 for the 4km mark. Started to flag a little here but kept rolling through as much as possible.

The final parts of the 2nd lap were a little painful and I could see seagull looming in the background gainig fast, however I held on enough to edge him by a few seconds at the finish

Stats
Distance 8km ? (Garmin says 7.82)
Time 32:34
Avg Pace 4:04
Avg HR 181

So a new PB, given I have not raced an 8km race before :)

Out too hard but felt pretty smooth for the first 5km or so before things became a little jagged. Actually felt pretty good considering it was less than 24 hours after about 16 hours travel. Amazingly the funky achilles has remarkably repaired itself somehow with not even a peep out of it?????

4 comments:

Katie said...

Well run Dave! the smaller runs are great.... the quickies take off pretty quickly and leave the rest of us with plenty of room. See you next week at the dinner!

miners said...

Great to see a new PB - no matter how you record it mate! :)

Superflake said...

Good one Dave. Maybe the DVT from the plane flight attacked the achillies?

Tesso said...

Great run Dave. Ever heard of jet lag ;-)