Thursday, May 04, 2006

Speed - where art thou?

Another step in the quest for the sub 40 10km is the return of the 1km reps. I delayed this last week due to my Melbourne trip, but no excuses today!

Drove down to Brett Park to link up with a group that leaves at around 6am, but got there early, just as Action and Luke Skyrunner cruised past and so I opted to warm up with them.

First 2 reps were ok, the other 2 cleared away from me pretty quickly, as I was catching up for the 3rd rep the others showed up and took off so I had a shorter recovery, which hurt! The 4th rep was not real good but I lined up with the group again and tried holding on for as long as possible.

A quick recovery break and then off around the rest of the bay run, just started to flag from the efforts in the last km.

Stats
5 x 1km reps at average of 3:54 and average recovery of 2:05
Total distance run 13.8km
Time 1:02:37

Splits were pretty consistent other than the 4th
3:52
3:51
3:55
4:00
3:52

Funky (thanks Jen!) Heel still complaining but not affecting running, I feel it more walking. Another step on the road to the goal.....

6 comments:

Katie said...

God there is something wrong in the cosmos if you are questioning your speed ;-) sub 4's are pretty speedy.... but don't worry you will get there ;-)

2P said...

Nice 1k repeats Dave - now all you have to do is string them together 10 x without the break.....

R2B said...

You can do it Dave!
Keep it up and gradually shorten the floats and you'll get there in no time.

Happy trails!
R2B

Superflake said...

That was what I was doing for 1k reps when I ran under 40mins. So it should only be a matter of time.And I still slacked and did 2min rests between.

ILCO said...

what about orienteering?
i think it's more fun...
here in Portugal i do some

keep running

Ewen said...

Speed has a habit of going AWOL Dave.

3:40s would be good for your sub-40 ;-)