Friday, May 26, 2006

Rest & revamp

I decided to ease off the training this week, to freshen the mind up a little, let the achilles recover and contemplate what next.

As you can see I have done a mini revamp of the blog. It became obvious as I started planning the next couple of months that orienteering and rogaining were not really going to fit too much into the equation and so I opted for a new banner, which I really like the symbolism of, "the open road ahead"!

In looking at the upcoming months it started to crystallise for me that I really desire to run Sydney Marathon again (properly) and despite it's relative toughness as a course in the back half, have a really good crack at lowering my PB. As it happens Sydney is 16 weeks away from this Sunday!! From there it was pretty easy to start filling in the weeks with various races that I am planning on doing. The immediate focus is still on leg speed and I think that the schedule I have put up, along with a greater focus on speed in training should see some PB's and goals being achieved along the way. There are a few others that I am also interested in not on the list, eg Shoalhaven KOM, will just have to see how things unfold.

The other big goal is to reduce weight, I am back at around 78kg, having floated around 73kg in peak 6 ft training back in January. This will mean adjustment in diet, especially what I am drinking. Quite a significant reduction on both alcohol (not elimination though!) and soft drinks (I do like my cola and do not like the taste of diet/zero/max) so a lot more water and low joule cordial. Ideally I think below 72kg by September is realistic and reasonable, along the way this should help my PB quest!

8 comments:

vat_man said...

Yeah, the booze thing will definitely help - a bit of an audit of the diet often surprises just as to how many 'empty' calories we actually eat. I've been a lot more disciplined over the last month or so and it's showing, with body fat quite obviously dropping.

Katie said...

Very snazzy Dave! 16 weeks this sunday **gulp**....I had better get into it! I am looking forward to Sydney as well :-)

miners said...

Great race goal, weight goal, and a fab new banner. It's the new Dave :)

2P said...

Sounds like a pretty good pan Dave - must say I miss the contours though ;-)

Superflake said...

Schedule looks good Dave. I might see you at about a quarter of those I think. But I'll be east met instead.

Jen said...

Love the new banner & the new goal. Can't wait to follow the journey :-)

Tesso said...

Nice new look to the blog Dave!

Ewen said...

I've aquired a taste for orange juice - much less sugar than soft drink. I only drink Coke after a long run these days.

Dave, the GSX is begging to ride down that road!