Friday, June 30, 2006

Shambles!!!

Warning, this is not a post about running..... (mostly a vent today, click on if you want running!)

Thursday morning after my run I dropped my car off at the dealership to get serviced. At the last service they said I had about 5000km left on my brake pads and so being the good camper that I am as the 5000 (well actually 6000!) clocked over I booked in. While there they suggested they also do the 40,000km service as it was about the right timing as well. Thinking this was a good idea I agreed.

Much later that afternoon the dealership rang with the usual, well we think you need to replace blah and blah and blah etc. I asked them what they did and quizzed them when there was no mention of the brake pads, "oh no, plenty of wear left on them, probably another 10,000km"!!! After a terse discussion about why the car was there I got back to work and then bussed it up to pick the car up.

I again expressed my disappointment that the only reason the car was booked in was to replace the pads, as they had told me it would need, felt and indicated that I had been had a little. Anyway not much joy to be had and so I hopped in the car to head home. Their service centre has a pretty tight car park and so I was carefully looking over my shoulder to keep an eye on the cars behind, of course if was actually looking in the rear view mirror I would have seen the bloody big pole that I backed straight into :( :(

After much muttering to myself and checking the damage, yep nice ding in the plastic bumper, I drove home muttering all the way.

Now to this morning, it has been 2 years (maybe more) since I had a general check up with the doctor and so about time for another. He was actually pretty impressed, I have lost 11kg since the last check up and had much better blood pressure and resting HR. Anticipating his need for me to have blood test for cholesterol etc I fasted and so trooped upstairs to the pathology unit. The guy here seemed a little cautious and after checking my right arm felt that my veins were a little hard to locate so got me some water to drink (dehydrated?) and checked my left arm. He still seemed a little worried but felt he would get a good enough feed. In goes the needle and on goes the first vial, now I don't get blood taken that often, but he seemed to be stuffing around a lot. Normally I also tend not to watch but felt compelled to see what he was doing. The vial seemed to be filling very slowly and he was wiggling the needle around a bit. By the third vial all the wiggling of the needle he was doing was starting to hurt quite a bit. He asked me if I was ok and/or getting dizzy and I mentioned that all the wiggling of the needle was hurting and yes I was getting dizzy.

Next thing I know it felt like I was dreaming and all I could hear was "sorry, sorry" I had passed out! Now of course there was plenty of blood, mostly all over my arm and shirt sleeve. After a few minutes the diziness and sweating stopped, thank goodness I think he got enough in each vial. Thats enough to make me want to avoid blood tests etc for a while. Told the wife about it, blood tests are a snack for her as she has to get one every couple of weeks and so she thought it hilarious that I had passed out from a blood test.....

Anyway also managed to get into a radiology for a CT scan to once and for all determine if I have equal leg length. That way we can adjust my new inserts if there is a difference and work on the core/pelvis area independently.

Lastly work has been flat out as well and while no Doocing is allowed lets just say there have been a few challenges this week...

10km tomorrow, a fresh six months to obsess about and only 11 weeks until the marathon, there you go, eventually back to running.

4 comments:

2P said...

Geez Dave - good thing you don't have a duck - it might drown ;-)

Clairie said...

Thanks Dave, I feel so much better now.

I thought all crap stuff happened to me but no - it happens to you too!!!

I will be smiling all day today now, though I am sorry you dinged your car and fainted.... *grins*

Camille said...

Welcome to my life.

Don Juan said...

very funny.

shambles describes my T de F dream team so far, although it's full of climbers.