Friday, March 25, 2005

Sharpen up time

A nice sleep in this morning but still wanted to get out today so headed out this afternoon. Wanted to do a pretty hard session but not a full on headbanging interval set. I decided to do my normal run through the park to the weir and back. Main difference being that at 3km I'd shift down to around Half Marathon pace and hold that through the undulations for 5km. As it happened the start and end of the 5km were both halfway down Scribbly so a nice uphill finish to really test things out.

The warm up was pretty good and I was really floating but still running sub 5 min/km pace. When the 3km distance beep went off I immediately upped the effort and then monitored things on the garmin. At the end of the 5km I ended up in a time of 21:04 so slightly sub 4:15 pace, again on a undulating course.

Had a minute break and then warmed down heading home. The final stats were

10.97 km in 49:41, avg pace 4:32 (which is pretty much my new Canberra target MP) and avg HR of 170.

I have had the "blahs" since 6 ft but I think this session has turned the corner for me mentally. Not even that fussed by the blister I managed to pick up on my heel. No niggles from either lower leg and I did plenty of stretching at the end of the run.

A rest day tomorrow and the CR 5km challenge at the bay to round out the week and keep teh sharpening coming!

No comments: