Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Summer Series (with a twist!)

Catch up time, craziness at work along with 6 foot have combined to delay my blogging considerably.

First up lets deal with Wednesday, travelled to Melbourne for work meetings and decided to head out to Mullum Mullum (near Ringwood) for a spot of Street Orienteering Melbourne style. Mentioned to fellow CR and chatter Louise that I might do this and she came up and introduced herself at the start.

The style of event is a little different compared to Sydney. The maps are black and white and are "melways" style. There are 20 controls put out and these are 2 x orienteering punches chained and locked to the base of trees, power poles etc. It is a mass start and you nominate a grade, I went for A grade which meant I had to get any 17 of the 20 controls. Ended up 9th in A grade and there were some pretty prominent elite orienteers there!

The distance was 9.1km in 40:57 (avg pace 4:30 and avg hr of 171)

A nice fast hit out and felt good at the end. Missed catching up with Louise afterwards.

No comments: