After tossing it up this afternoon, taking the cooler weather into account, wanting to defend my position on the points table etc etc I decided to run Summer Series again. This week a little further afield at West Carlingford. The map centred around a creek running through the suburb and some nice bush and corresponding tracks for some different types of running. Before I left I noticed the points leader had already finished and got all the controls in 39 minutes and so I resolved to go for the lot as well.
A fast start through to 9, 11 then a quick in/out along a trail to 7. Pretty easy to locate 10 under a power line tower and then some trail running for 24 and 4. (massive mistake here but more on that later). Further along the track to 19 then some faster street running with 25, 15, 30 and 20 in quick succession. A nice downhill stretch back to the bush and 18 then 22. Decided to duck in for 27. Excellent time to this point and I was feeling pretty good.
Up to 5 and then 8 with a bush bash to cut back to the higher track and pick up 12. More street running again and 6, 29, 13 were all pretty easy. Still looking good on time but in going so fast I had now reached the point where I had stopped planning ahead while running. A little of a muddle both in and out of 23 and it took a little while to regain map contact. Slowed down to ensure I got 14 right but had a poor route to then get to 17 which was also a little more difficult to find.
All of a sudden time which had seemed plentiful was running out! Street running again now and back up a hill to get to 28 and then 16 and headed back to the school grounds. As I entered and got 3 time had pretty much run out but I decided to get 2, 26 and 1 to complete the card. As I was running from 26 to 1, much to my horror I noticed there were 2 empty controls, number 21 was missing!! Too hard to work out why while also running late and I got 1 and then ran it home.
Here is the map and my route
http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmbray/Hunts%20Creek.jpg
Ended up back in a time of 50:11 which means a 60 point penalty so 2,26 and 1 balanced out. I now got a chance to work out where 21 was and it was back up between 20 and 4. (Grrrrr). Anyway that leaves me with 510 points, normally a good score but not tonight with a number of people getting the lot in early time. Still holding onto 4th overall as 5th did not run again tonight and I did at least increase my best 12 runs points tally by 2 points! However another person has now leapfrogged into 5th place and is only 22 points behind me. Will be very interesting to see how the final 3 events turnout and how these affect each of our 12 best events points. No Summer Series for me next week as I am in Melbourne for work and miss out on a new map based around Milsons Point and Kiribilli.
Distance covered was 9km and so an average pace of 5:36 and avg hr of 169. Some good lessons to be learned but the good thing was the legs felt fine after the 50km epic on Sunday.
No comments:
Post a Comment