Ended up not doing a recovery run on Saturday but still managed 72km for the week. I had decided that I was going to do the 10km race, even to the point of setting up the virtual partner feature on the Garmin accordingly. However when I got out to the venue it was quite cool, for this time of the year. That coupled with chatting a few regulars and I signed up for the half before I changed my mind again.
Headed out a little cautiously, just a little slower than the target pace of 4:15. Colin joined me and just before the 5km turnaround we joined up with Barry and Peter from Striders. The 5km split was 21:37. I consciously decided to up the pace a little coming back and we went through 10km in 42:58 (5km split of 21:21). Then we hit the hill on the return loop and I slowly slid off the back of the other 3. Headed back down the hill I managed to regain some ground but ended up about 20m off.
The second lap was tougher as the wind had picked up and running uphill, into a head wind and trying to regain ground is bloody hard. As a result the 15km split was a little slower at 1:05:47 (22:49). Now it was a case of focus on form and pace and bring it home. I could still see Barry about 200m up the road and there was another guy between us so I set out to try and catch him. In the last 2km I was really reeling him in, but ran out of distance, but I ran it out hard all the way to the line.
Stats
Distance : The Garmin said 21.22 but again Sportstracks does better with a 21.11!
Time : I missed the official time and hit the stop on the Garmin after running through the line, roughly 1:33:18
Avg Pace : 4:25
Avg HR : 162
Very happy with this run, given very early in the 6ft prep and since Sydney the training has been maintenance only relatively speaking. Second best ever Half Marathon time and 3 minutes off my previous course PB. The legs have pulled up pretty well, so a great way to end the year of racing (ok, still one Summer Series event to go).
Had a post race seasonal celebratory brew with Colin as he will miss any catch up events looming in the remaining days left in the year.
8 comments:
Nice work Dave. See you for a brew or two on Friday :-)
Nice run Dave - it is looking very much like you are going to get the equaliser at this years 6'.
It was nice to catch you with you out there Dave. Glad you had a good run despite the nasty headwind. See you for a drink on Friday.
Great run Dave.... sounds like the cooler morning was a nice change for Smithfield in December :-)
Good stuff Dave, I have been enjoying reading your Summer Series reports, especially as I have a couple of work colleagues who are doing it each week, both of whom are most impressed with your points tally. Catch you at the track on Saturday.
Solid run Dave, agree that 3rd 5km at Smithfield is a lot harder. Nice finish to 2005 and a good lead in to 2006.
It was very quiet by the beaches!! I did not see any police and hardly any people. Just a heap of white and green :-)
A good hitout Dave and something you can certainly build on in the leadup to 6 Foot.
Post a Comment