Saturday, December 24, 2005

Quarry Road Initiation

The Quarry Road trail which runs between Hornsby and Galston has a reputation as a good Six Foot Track training regime and given my focus on this event I decided to join in the organised group run for Christmas Eve. Knowing there is no water available on the trail but that Horrie was bringing some refreshments to leave at the trailhead. I thought about using the Camelbak but just opted for the bottle bumbag.

As I was driving up I started to already question the wisdom of not using the camelbak as the outside temperature indicator was reading 37 degrees! A whole heap of runners, with some familiar faces showed up and we set off. My usual fairly fast downhill style saw me tucked in behind Uncle Dave (about the only time that will ever happen!) until it levelled out a little where I let him go. After about 1.5km I crossed the bridge over Berowra Creek and started climbing. About halfway up Don Juan and Royworlds caught up to me and by the top Suzanne K had also latched on. From there it was still about 2km to the trailhead at the other end of the track where Spud had left some provisions to restock us.

Suzanne and I took off after a little break while the others stayed a little longer. On the longer downhill stretch I pulled clear for a while, only to be passed by DJ. Royworlds went past on the return uphill but I kept him in sight and actually went back past close to the top. I was also a little surprised that I stayed clear of Suzanne. A good gathering at the top where we topped up drinks and caught up with some others who had run earlier but it was still warming up...

Back down the hill, just lurking behind DJ and Suzanne, who turned around after the bridge. I now started to really feel the heat and was consuming quite a bit of water. By the time I got to the major trail junction I was starting to feel the strain and was also worried that Spud had left and so there may be no fluids at the far end. This coupled with starting to struggle and the heat in general left me with the decision to turn around, thus ensuring I would at least make it back to the start with some fluids.

A push back up the hill a second time and was very pleased to see plu minding the camp and immediately plonked myself down and downed a coke and water in quick succession which felt a lot better. Had a chat with plu before heading off to the mother in law's place for a swim to refresh before tacking the horror of food shopping on Christmas Eve.




Stats
Distance : 21.3Km
Time : 2:04:25 (first complete lap was 1:10)
Avg Pace : 5:50 min/km
Avg HR : 163

A fair run, probably too fast on the first lap, but hey a good learning experience! Will certainly aim to run this course a few times in the next couple of months.

Weekly Summary
Distance : 80km
A nice continuing increase in what really is only my third proper full week. Only 11 weeks to go until race day, yikes!! A rest day tomorrow though as the family fun of Christmas unfolds.

Finally I would like to pass on my best wishes to all (any?) that take the time to read this blog, have a great Christmas!

8 comments:

Jen said...

T'was lovely - as always - to catch up with you last night.

Nice work today in really difficult conditions.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful and safe Christmas. Don't hurt yourself playing with the kids toys !

Jxx

Don Juan said...

You ran well today. It's a good preparation for Mr G's bus at six foot.

Have a good Christmas.

2P said...

Good to see you out there today Dave - I didn't realise you hadn't done it before. You were looking really strong each time I saw you.

Have a great Christmast - enjoy and stay safe.

Cheers, 2P :-)

Superflake said...

Merry Christmas Dave. Hope you have a good one. Quarry Rd should see you better prepared than this year for Six Foot. Cheers.

Lulu said...

Have a great Christmas and a very happy 2006, running and otherwise!

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas Dave.

Keep inspiring us with your deeds in 2006.

Clairie said...

Hope you had a great Chrissy Dave. certainly sounds like your build up to Canberra is going to be a good one.

Less than 3 months to go - scary heh! Especially with all the festive eating and drinking that is not exactly conducive to running.

Horrie said...

You were looking strong there on the first lap Dave. But by the time you finished, you were looking 3kg lighter and a little drained. You certainly put in a stellar effort out there in very tough conditions.